My beautiful 72 convertible - Wrecked & Ruined

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Saturday I was on a short drive heading back home on a busy suburban road. Another vehicle driven by a total idiot decides to turn left through the intersection as I am crossing it and broadsides me. I swerved slightly just prior to impact and was hit real hard in the left quarter panel also impacting the driver's door.

Happened so fast. I wanted to strangle this person but kept my cool. Thankfully no one was injured. Of course the jackass was driving on a suspended license, had no insurance and plates from a different vehicle 🙄

Anyway, needless to say I'm totally bummed out. After owning this car for 20 years and always treating it with extreme care, making nice improvements, etc and finally discovering this amazing forum this year it's a real shame.

I've contacted a few resto shops and sent images and received some responses. The consensus seems to be that there is likely frame damage as the pillar has been pushed some. Also the driver's door will not open, overlapping the rear quarter about and inch.

My ins adjuster should get back soon on what they think it would run. Seems like restos now are really high like everything else, painting the car could run 20-30k alone.

One place I contacted, The Creative Workshop, I'm Dania FL- I am in the South Florida area - wouldn't take it on as they do not deal with insurance. Another place Realistic Restorations in St. Petersburg, seems pretty good after speaking with them, but they said I could be in for more well than 35k potentially, depending on what they find, after paint, body and mechanical and that might only cover a partial repaint, not whole car. Both said likely frame damage. Another shop said the motor would need to come out to repair frame, not sure about that.

The motor did not seem damaged but there could be lots going on not visible. Amazingly I did not see any leaking fluids.

Just curious what you guys think. Anyone know of any good shops in in South Florida or near by chance? Anyone else ever go through this type of thing with their car? Not sure what ins will do. I have a decent stated policy but dont know yet what they will do or of it's worth it to try and restore it, even though I have loved it for so long as it could be a big $$ rabbit hole to run down. And I was just finishing the few last little things on my list and really enjoying it..

If I posted this in the wrong area my apologies. Any input or tips are greatly appreciated.
I am so sorry for you. I am glad you are okay. This is my concern every time I drive mine, that some idiot will take out my car. It's my second Mustang and the second car I ever owned. The first one, a 73 Mach1, was taken out by a drunk driver.

I hope it turns out for you but that looks pretty bad.
Sorry to see this. I have attached a picture of the floorpan mine during restoration for reference. A couple of thoughts (guesses); the windshield doesn't look cracked indicating the A pillar may not be as badly damaged as indicated by the door movement. As the entire structure of our Mustang is a weldment, the fact that the drivers side front frame rail is bent is not significantly more serious than the corresponding inner fender well being damaged in terms of repair work. Removing the engine for this repair is necessary, likely the cross member under the engine (again welded in rather than bolted like prior generations of Mustangs) could be damaged. My biggest concern looking at the pictures is the rocker panel and the connection to the drivers side floor pan, might want to get under the car and see if it is damaged. Alternatively, put a long straight edge along the outside of the rocker panel to see if it has been moved. My front end had a bit of rust in the inner fenders and core support. I bought a very clean front clip from a Mustang salvage yard in Colorado for about $2000 ten years ago. If the firewall and A pillar aren't too damaged, replacing the drivers side inner fender, cross member, frame rail, and core support is doable.

Hope this helps. WP_20140612_17_40_59_Pro.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about the car...I've attached a scan of the ideal frame dimensions that I kept when I had to have some framework done. I hope this helps in determining the extent of the damage and which route you want to go.

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 11.55.02.png

I'm sorry to hear about the car...I've attached a scan of the ideal frame dimensions that I kept when I had to have some framework done. I hope this helps in determining the extent of the damage and which route you want to go.

View attachment 92602
Great Information

Sorry to see this. I have attached a picture of the floorpan mine during restoration for reference. A couple of thoughts (guesses); the windshield doesn't look cracked indicating the A pillar may not be as badly damaged as indicated by the door movement. As the entire structure of our Mustang is a weldment, the fact that the drivers side front frame rail is bent is not significantly more serious than the corresponding inner fender well being damaged in terms of repair work. Removing the engine for this repair is necessary, likely the cross member under the engine (again welded in rather than bolted like prior generations of Mustangs) could be damaged. My biggest concern looking at the pictures is the rocker panel and the connection to the drivers side floor pan, might want to get under the car and see if it is damaged. Alternatively, put a long straight edge along the outside of the rocker panel to see if it has been moved. My front end had a bit of rust in the inner fenders and core support. I bought a very clean front clip from a Mustang salvage yard in Colorado for about $2000 ten years ago. If the firewall and A pillar aren't too damaged, replacing the drivers side inner fender, cross member, frame rail, and core support is doable.

Hope this helps. View attachment 92601
So very sorry to learn about this accident. I hope things turn out for the good of our car. I know their are a lot of good shops out there to help fix our cars but a lot of them charge way to much to fix cars. We are all on a limited budget to fix our cars and to try and keep them running. I'm for everyone making a good living but some of the cost are way to high.

Latest posts

Back