My beautiful 72 convertible - Wrecked & Ruined

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has nothing to do with the OP's unfortunate situation, but, while we're on the subject of uninsured and unlicensed drivers, let me regale you with an insurance horror story involving one of my Mustangs getting wrecked. It's a bit of a long read. Sorry for the temporary thread hijack. :)

A few years back I was sitting at a red light in my 2010 Mustang Mach 1 tribute car when I got rear-ended by a young driver in his mom's late model Chevy Malibu. He clobbered me good 'n hard, but no one was injured. When I asked him for his license and insurance, he hemmed and hawed a while and finally told me he'd just come from his job and he must have left his wallet in his locker. Then he asked me not to call the police. Seriously, dude? I phoned the local police immediately. When the officers arrived, they questioned the young driver and determined that (1) his license had been revoked for having too many tickets and accidents (permanently taken away, not just suspended), (2) he had no insurance, and (3) he was not listed as an authorized driver on his mother's policy that covered the Malibu (#3 will be really important later in this story). The officers did not write the young driver ANY citations, even though he was breaking at least three state laws! Not only that, they let him drive away! Knowing that he had no license and no insurance!! I was livid. Now, back to #3. There's a little weird loophole in Texas motor vehicle insurance laws that ended up screwing me deeply. Because a valid insurance policy existed for the Malibu, even though the young driver was not listed on it, my insurance company was not ALLOWED, by law, to cover the claim with my uninsured motorist coverage! Uninsured motorist coverage in Texas is only effective when there is NO policy on the vehicle at fault. My insurance company had no choice but to cover it with my collision coverage, as if the accident had been my fault! My rates went up almost 50% and I had to eat the $500 deductible! The repair bill was nearly $7,000 but at least I only had to pay $500 out of pocket plus the increased rates.

This is the car in my story. I no longer own it. Sold it last year.

View attachment 91615

Rant over. Sorry again for the thread hijack.
Thanks for sharing this story, good rant lol. Of course no real accountability as this driver was able to drive away. Looks like a beautiful car. I also had a 2017 GT for a time that was a great car. They've told me that this won't affect my rates as it wasn't my fault but I'm not sold on that.

I spent my entire adult life in the Automotive collision / restoration biz and also worked as a damage appraiser for Insurance company's. Looking at your pictures it appears the main damage hit was a touch above the left front wheel. Believe it or not it really looks a lot worse than what it probably is and the car is definitely repairable. The big thing is going to be putting the car up on a frame machine with the proper measuring system in place in order to "put the unibody" back to factory specs. That spec sheet is on the site here. The other thing is going to be checking for secondary damage. I'd be checking the hinge pillar,firewall.cowl panel, floor and shock tower. Once the car is disassembled and measured you'll know exactly what needs to be done to put the unibody back to spec. I do see at least 15-25k in repair cost depending what you find upon disassembly.
Thanks for this analysis and helpful info, much appreciated 👏

Words can't possibly ex[ress how I feel about your being hit like that, much less by someone withot insurance. I am hoping you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Even if they were to cover the cost of repairs. the fact is damage has been done to a prized possesion. Lynda and I try to drive so carefully, always looking out for "the other guy." Were someone do that kind of damage to one of our pony cars I would be a lot more than casually upset about it,

I wish I had some words of wisdom to share with you, but it looks like you have already gotten a lot of that with the comments prior to mine.

Last edited:
First, please let me express my sympathies, very sorry for your mishap. Now, I've seen a lot worse damage and rust deterioration repaired successfully. Yes, it takes time and money, but with the parts available today, just about every damaged part can be replaced. Very important to have the right coverage to cover these costs, though. Scroll through Youtube, and you'll see many examples of cars worse off than yours being successfully repaired. Don't just look for Mustangs, of which there are many, but also Camaros, Firebirds, and other uni-body cars of the period. You'll be amazed at what gets fixed, and how well it's done.

First, please let me express my sympathies, very sorry for your mishap. Now, I've seen a lot worse damage and rust deterioration repaired successfully. Yes, it takes time and money, but with the parts available today, just about every damaged part can be replaced. Very important to have the right coverage to cover these costs, though. Scroll through Youtube, and you'll see many examples of cars worse off than yours being successfully repaired. Don't just look for Mustangs, of which there are many, but also Camaros, Firebirds, and other uni-body cars of the period. You'll be amazed at what gets fixed, and how well it's done.
Thanks for your comments, I do appreciate it. Agree that many have been far worse and I know it can be fixed. Cost, time and by whom are variables needing to be determined still.

Man, so sorry that happened but glad no one was injured. Its clear that there are alot of folks on this forum who can provide some good advice and support. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on the process.

As others have indicated I too am sorry for the damage to your car. It definitely sucks with the other party involved. If you want, I hope you can get it back to the condition you were enjoying it in. It is going to be a long road ahead but there are plenty of folks on this site who can offer great assistance.

Yes it does, thank goodness for edit button
heh heh, I just went back and corrected my typo in the post I made. But I will not be able to correct the response you put forth where my offensive typo was shown. heh heh... "You sins will find you out..." heh heh...

I just made the 'mistake' of looking the photos in the opening post of this thread. I just drove our 73 Mustang Convertible over to a local shop for its NY state required annual inspection. I shuddered to think of how I would feel if anyone did to our pony what they did to yours... I would be heart sick to say the least. Never mind how well it is insured, to include for uninsured and under-insured drivers.

Our vert is a True Survivor that was literally parked in a barn for over 40 years, and has just over 22,000 original odometer miles on it. All metal is original, as is all the paint other then the lower half of the rear trunk lid's vertical surface. A little bit of rust began to "set up shop" under a too thin coverage of paint from the factory. I had a restoration shop correct the corrosion that was beginning to get a toe-hold, then painting just the lower half of that surface. I decided to install a trunk stripe, which did a great job of covering the area where the new paint met the old paint, so no transition line can be seen. I felt I needed something to give that pony a little visual edge anyway, so it worked out nicely. I also added a front spoiler, for the same reason. It is otherwise a fairly demure looking Mustang, which is fine as our other pony cars are a lot sportier and mean looking.

Anyway, I am sure there are many other fellow Mustang lovers who join you in your sorrow. I do hope you opt to repair it, as that is an otherwise really nice looking pony.

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973Convertible_BARNF1ND_LicensePlate_20210516_IMG-6006.jpg
    1973Convertible_BARNF1ND_LicensePlate_20210516_IMG-6006.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_2_20191027.JPG
    1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_2_20191027.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4286.JPG
    IMG_4286.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
So sorry for your loss, I hope it can be fixed, but at least your ok. This is my biggest fear of someone smashing up your prized possession.

So sorry this happened. At one time I owned a 1961 Cadillac hearse in which I got the entire front clip smashed. I had regular insurance, and they didn't know how to handle it, other than to total the car. So, I bought it back, and did the repairs myself, except for the frame tweaking and paint.
After I sold the hearse, I had a black 1963 Plymouth Belvedere totalled by an uninsured driver, also when I lived in California.
I had no recourse, due to my meager funds at the time, but to let it go, but I was able to use the insurance money to buy a 66 mustang.

As much as I've enjoyed my Mustang over the past 20 years it's time to move on unfortunately as it's been totaled. The car is up for auction here for anyone who may want to pursue a good car with lots of usable parts or pos to restore, likely someone with lots of time, connections and resources.

https://www.copart.com/lot/66944744/1972-ford-mustang-fl-miami-north

Latest posts

Back