Air Ride

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I'm looking into installing air bags into the front of my 71 coupe. I know Air Ride struts would be the best way to go, but I'm not spending $900+ for a set. I'm looking at a set of 2500lb bags for the front and 2600lbs for the rear (4 link to come later).

Here is my problem...How the heck do I mount them?! I've had several air ride vehicles in the past and they were relatively easy installs - Just mount the bag between the upper and lower control arms. But Ford had to put the springs on top of the upper control arm, which really screws my plan up.

Here are the options I see:

1) install the air bags where the spring is now...But where do I install the shock? Would a shock work connected to the lower control arm and frame if an air bag is mounted to the upper?

2) Relocate the swaybar endlink and mount the bag between the upper and lower control arms. The shock could then be mounted between the lower control arm and frame. How would i mount my swaybar? Would there be enough room between the frame and spindle for a bag?

The positive with number 2 is i could fill in the spring perch in the engine bay.

I'm looking into installing air bags into the front of my 71 coupe. I know Air Ride struts would be the best way to go, but I'm not spending $900+ for a set. I'm looking at a set of 2500lb bags for the front and 2600lbs for the rear (4 link to come later).

Here is my problem...How the heck do I mount them?! I've had several air ride vehicles in the past and they were relatively easy installs - Just mount the bag between the upper and lower control arms. But Ford had to put the springs on top of the upper control arm, which really screws my plan up.

1) install the air bags where the spring is now...But where do I install the shock? Would a shock work connected to the lower control arm and frame if an air bag is mounted to the upper?

2) Relocate the swaybar endlink and mount the bag between the upper and lower control arms. The shock could then be mounted between the lower control arm and frame. How would i mount my swaybar? Would there be enough room between the frame and spindle for a bag?

The positive with number 2 is i could fill in the spring perch in the engine bay.
In my opinion what your looking to do would best be accomplished with the ride tech setup..yes it's $900.00 for the bag shock combo but it's well engineered..you won't be messing with the geometry of the susp & it's plug & play..Unless you have a lot of experience, with setting up relocating frt susp components that will retain the correct geometry or enhance the geometry for better performance..If you have the know how ..the tools..gauges.. then go for it...The 450.00 per side is money well spent..Not to mention the ease of installation. My frt end install

In my opinion what your looking to do would best be accomplished with the ride tech setup..yes it's $900.00 for the bag shock combo but it's well engineered..you won't be messing with the geometry of the susp & it's plug & play..Unless you have a lot of experience, with setting up relocating frt susp components that will retain the correct geometry or enhance the geometry for better performance..If you have the know how ..the tools..gauges.. then go for it...The 450.00 per side is money well spent..Not to mention the ease of installation. My frt end install

I hear you...But I still do not have money to spend on air struts (two kids under three take most of the money around my house!). I want a suspension I can control the height - I'm not as worried about the performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Qcode351mach! I'm looking over this link and those may work.

$900 seems cheap to me.. considering you need bags, a compressor, valves, controls, wiring and tubing.

I have seen a few set-ups with just a schrader valve and line for each air bag. This could definitely be done in stages.
Very true. In a previous life I owned several mini trucks - And two had bags. My first was completed by Lowes barb fittings, schrader valves, and Lowes hose. I know how to make it cheap! This is not the route I want to go with this setup, but it can be done CHEAP.

downwardspiral, you still need a tank/values/tubing/wiring/etc...with bag/shock combos, so the difference is $69 bags or $900 struts.

Very true. In a previous life I owned several mini trucks - And two had bags. My first was completed by Lowes barb fittings, schrader valves, and Lowes hose. I know how to make it cheap! This is not the route I want to go with this setup, but it can be done CHEAP.

downwardspiral, you still need a tank/values/tubing/wiring/etc...with bag/shock combos, so the difference is $69 bags or $900 struts.
Yeah.. but I would park my car slammed at every chance I got.. Maybe I would need compressor, not you lol. I feel like you don't get the full experience without one. If I were after a constant ride height, I would just make it work with coils or coilovers.

edit-I just realized I'm answering your question at all lmfao.. sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back