Alt./ V-reg,/ solenoid & gauge feed wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Can anyone post pictures of the wiring of the regulator, alternator, and solenoid for a 72 Mach 1, (build date 03/16/72), 351-4V, with gauges and AC and a build date after 01/03/72? I also need pictures of the gauge feed harness. I've discovered the hard and expensive way that several wiring changes were made during the model year. I'm having great trouble locating a correct harness and matching wiring diagram. The diagrams I have don't seem to match the harness' I have.

All help appreciated,

Chuck

Did you reconcile what you have with the wiring diagrams posted here on the site in the "Data" section to see if that is what you need?

BT

Did you reconcile what you have with the wiring diagrams posted here on the site in the "Data" section to see if that is what you need?

BT
Yes I did. I also checked the Jim Osborn electrical assembly volume as well as some vintage MOTOR wiring diagrams. I've contacted the company that has colorized downloadable wiring diagrams. There diagrams are also "excerpts" of the complete Ford drawings so not all production changes are shown. I can hook it up and make everything work but, I want to have it look right when I'm done.

Thanks, Chuck

Well my car was originally a 2v built in mid 71 and used a lot of 71 left over parts and I know there can be a lot of differences in The harnesses ford used.

A lot of harnesses are not made reproduction yet.

My engine harness is totally different from ones I've seen, I have an extra 12volt tier from the factory because the car originally had an idle up solenoid, I've only seen one other 71 that had the same harness at a car show, mine was ruined and I recreated it using a donor 73 convertible ac car harness. I was able to match it perfectly with the correct wire colors and connectors I salvaged.

I know there was at least 5 different harness for the alternator and at least 2 for the Mach 1 one is reproduced the other isn't I lucked out of that my car originally had the 1 Mach 1 harness that is reproduced.

I had to fudge my final connections around the solenoid because I wasn't sure if my car originally had a electrical isolator bridge for the main harness black and orange wire. I used a picture from a car show of a 71 that had it. It looks correct so who knows.

For concourse stuff 71-73 info is very light and hard to find.

Well my car was originally a 2v built in mid 71 and used a lot of 71 left over parts and I know there can be a lot of differences in The harnesses ford used.

A lot of harnesses are not made reproduction yet.

My engine harness is totally different from ones I've seen, I have an extra 12volt tier from the factory because the car originally had an idle up solenoid, I've only seen one other 71 that had the same harness at a car show, mine was ruined and I recreated it using a donor 73 convertible ac car harness. I was able to match it perfectly with the correct wire colors and connectors I salvaged.

I know there was at least 5 different harness for the alternator and at least 2 for the Mach 1 one is reproduced the other isn't I lucked out of that my car originally had the 1 Mach 1 harness that is reproduced.

I had to fudge my final connections around the solenoid because I wasn't sure if my car originally had a electrical isolator bridge for the main harness black and orange wire. I used a picture from a car show of a 71 that had it. It looks correct so who knows.

For concourse stuff 71-73 info is very light and hard to find.
Thanks for confirming what I had found. Based on what I have discovered, your car should have the terminal block. Does yours have the 20 amp circuit breaker attached to the terminal block? The drawing (dated 08/25/71) shows it being present. However, it supplies; convenience group, convertible equip., power windows, and heated back glass. My car has none of those options. So it makes no sense to me for it to be present on my car.

Thanks, Chuck

No, I don't have the circuit breaker. My car was equipped only with the basic mach 1 package, no power windows, no convenience group, no rear defrost. I came to the same conclusion as you because of the low options the car most likely never had one.

the terminal block is another story seems like ford went hit and miss with it on some units. if you had the idiot lights on the dash, or a convertible 99% of the cars i've seen have the terminal block, after that it seems like ford installed them when ever it was in stock, i've seen cars that claim to be factory originals that are survivors and some have them and others do not. I think it looks cleaner so i installed one on the apron where the 2 dimples are in the sheet metal for it.

I did upgrade my voltage regulator and alternator to the 65amp unit. my car would of originally had the 45amp or 55amp (due to A/C).

the Osbourn books are nice and valid up to a point after that if you want to be really correct you have to find a car from the same time line and factory and compare how the car was equipped to your own because 2 months later in production at the same plant could of produced a different arrangement of parts based on what they had available in the warehouse.

if you like i can snap a pic of how mine is setup, heck you could criteek me. LOL

Thanks for confirming what I had found. Based on what I have discovered, your car should have the terminal block. Does yours have the 20 amp circuit breaker attached to the terminal block? The drawing (dated 08/25/71) shows it being present. However, it supplies; convenience group, convertible equip., power windows, and heated back glass. My car has none of those options. So it makes no sense to me for it to be present on my car.

Thanks, Chuck

I agree with you. Without a complete set of all change drawings (which no one seems to have) there is no way to know with any certainty. Even then, as you said, they would have used what they had. The line was not going to stop because they ran out of some non critical part. Even though I live in Mustang, Oklahoma, finding a 1972 Mustang, unmolested, with the same approximate build date and options has proven to be difficult. If you have time I'd appreciate the picture. I like to gather as much information as I can. Thanks for taking the time to respond. This is a great site with good people.

100_2920.jpg

100_2919.jpg

100_2918.jpg

100_2917.jpg

here are the pics of the solenoid area, the engine harness in the back is too covered by the air cleaner and shock tower support to see anything.

100_2920.jpg

100_2919.jpg

100_2918.jpg

100_2917.jpg

here are the pics of the solenoid area, the engine harness in the back is too covered by the air cleaner and shock tower support to see anything.
Thanks for the pictures. Chuck

Back