alternator/regulator question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys, i got the 408 in and running but not getting a charge at the battery. I was wondering if someone could tell me if the S terminal at the regulator is suppose to have a swithced 12volts hooked to it?? My alternator only has 2 wires going to it. 35 and 36 on the wiring diagram from the regulator. Only 3 wires are used on the regulator. F S A. F35, S904, A36. It looks like 904 is going to the run position on the ignition switch. Does this sound right?? I had my alt tested and it is working fine, and i replaced the voltage regulator, but i am suspecting that i dont have 12volts at S/904. Would this cause the battery not to charge?? If so all i have to do is get a switched 12 volt source for the regulator and it should work?? Any help is appriciated! I am going to inspect all the wires again and check all my grounds again just to be sure but i think my problem is the no voltage to the regulator.

The Lt. Green / Red wire to the voltage regulator is the switched wire coming from the ignition providing the 12v ignition on signal if I recall correctly (looking at the '71 wiring diagram, it comes from the dash cluster, should be the alt. light.

Well guys after reading racerx's post and staring at the wiring schematic for a while longer, i believe i figured out my problem. When i replaced my tach i noticed i had a bad wire going to the ignition switch it was 16. red/lt green. I thought when my tach went bad it messed up that wire, so i cut it about 3 inches below the switch and then ran it to the tach and then out to the I terminal on the selenoid. Just like it shows in the wiring schematic. What i didnt notice was that further down the steering column, where the ignition switch plug connectors is, wire 904 connects with 16! 904 then goes out to the regulator s terminal. So that tells me that my regulator isnt getting its switched 12 volt from wire 904! So i think i have figured out why my battery isnt charging. I will run a switched 12 volt to the S terminal and see what the hell goes !! :D I will let you guys know tommorrow if it works. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
forget tall that garbage!!! take out the factory type alternator and harness and save it!

pick up a 1 wire 100 amp alternator from summit that is made by tough stuff and is only $78 dollars. i run this on my bracket race mach 1 and she's beautiful.

problem solved!

forget tall that garbage!!! take out the factory type alternator and harness and save it!

pick up a 1 wire 100 amp alternator from summit that is made by tough stuff and is only $78 dollars. i run this on my bracket race mach 1 and she's beautiful.

problem solved!
How do you wire it up?? wheres that one wire go??

I specialize in 12 electronics and custom wiring harnesses. I would agree kicking it in the teeth is the best option. The regulator is internal on a one wire, and the diodes are more restricting to AC ripples. AC ripples are hard on everything electrical. They also have all the technology and reliability of today's electronics. Get the warranty, and install a one wire, but save all the old stuff, you'll be very happy and have a better product in the end. If you need any assistant for any reason fill free to contact me.

-Brandon

problem solved!
+1 less crap to fail

Back