Any good ignition box mounting ideas?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
So I need to mount a giant MSD digital box somewhere out of harms way where it won’t get baked.   Looking for ideas.  Not really wanting to drill holes in the car...

Anybody come up with a slick way to mount an ignition controller?

I've run the MSD box below the washer bottle on past cars, painted it black so it didn't stick out. I'm not big on advertising performance parts. Biggest problem was I had to run the all the wires completely across the front of the car.

Current car has the MSD mounted behind the passenger headlamp. Kept the harness nice and short and in the vicinity of the rest of the harness feeds. I use the "I" terminal on the solenoid to switch it on/off, power is pulled directly from the batt side of the solenoid. I made a bracket to mount it to the existing headlight bucket holes. You do need to trim the bottom floor of the bucket, but that's pretty easy.

Pretty sure I still have a couple of these brackets kicking around, shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in one.

I've run the MSD box below the washer bottle on past cars, painted it black so it didn't stick out. I'm not big on advertising performance parts. Biggest problem was I had to run the all the wires completely across the front of the car.

Current car has the MSD mounted behind the passenger headlamp. Kept the harness nice and short and in the vicinity of the rest of the harness feeds. I use the "I" terminal on the solenoid to switch it on/off, power is pulled directly from the batt side of the solenoid. I made a bracket to mount it to the existing headlight bucket holes. You do need to trim the bottom floor of the bucket, but that's pretty easy.

Pretty sure I still have a couple of these brackets kicking around, shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in one.

That is very nice.  I don’t know if the footprint of the digital box is different than yours but I will do some checking.  PM inbound.

My digital 6AL is mounted on the passenger side vertical part of the A pillar, behind the fender. It's painted flat black. I would send pictures but, you can't see it. :) Chuck

Mine is mounted to the front of the passenger side strut tower...

I've seen them mounted behind the glove box, in the passenger compartment. Personally, I think there's a lot of room between the radiator support grill and the actual grill/headlight area that is pretty much wasted space. I like what Hemikiller did.

Two things kill black (or red) boxes, heat and vibrations, try to avoid both as much as possible. Some boxes hum or whine too loud to mount inside the cabin.

I mounted my Duraspark Blue Grommet box on the backside of the passenger side shock tower.  I'd take a pic, but you can't see it underneath the export brace.

Latest posts

Back