Any Paint mixologist??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Current Vehicles:
2010 Mustang GT
2008 Lincoln Navigator
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i 4x4
2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
1997 Mercedes SL500 AMG Roadster

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me the shade difference in Solar Gold

vs Gold Glow

71-73 Mustang

I'm trying to figure out which one is the darker color.

Any help would be appreciated.

Each one to me looks darker depending on how the light hits it.

Also does the original paint on these 71-73's need to be stripped entirely before painting again? Ive been told it does otherwise the new paint will just peel off. :huh:

Can you also remove the grande vinyl top and paint it instead of covering with vinyl? Whats underneath it??

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to determine color is to do a spray out card of each color...Then hold them side by side in the sunlight..The paint supplier can provide a formula which will list the toners that make up the color...some of the toners may be the same or completely different, But it will give you a feel for what makes up each color. There's lots of variables that affect color when doing a respray..some are : single stage or base coat clear coat...distance you hold the gun from the surface, air pressure, & a few more,

Stripping a car to bare metal is the preferred method for a top quality paint job..But if not prepped & done properly could actually cause more problems. I've painted plenty of cars with out stripping to bare metal with no problems what so ever..AS LONG as the finish was in good shape to begin with..again the key is good surface prep & isolating the old finish from the new..Epoxy primer used as a sealer is the best method. Of course expect to pay at least double if not more to strip a car to bare metal.

Thxs Qcode. What I want to get is a deep rich gold, trying to avoid mustardy color.

Back