Anyone Here do a c6 to AOD trans swap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Completed
1972 Mach 1 Future Project
1972 Mach 1 Doner Parts Car
1973 302 Current Project
I've got a 351C 4v and Modern Driveline stopped me from doing the T5 swap cause the guy I spoke to said it's not a good trans for our torquie motor. He recommended either the T56 or TKO's but can't find them locally and not going to pay for shipping it to me in Hawaii. So, AOD is another option and I've found quite a few available from Foxbody Mustangs. Will I need a C4 cross member or will the C6 work? What other parts will I need to do the swap? If you did the swap, awesome! Hope you could walk me through it and I do better with pics :D

Thanks,

DJ

if you buy the entire kit from www.moderndriveline.com like i did, he ships for FREE FREE FREE, oh yeah did i say FREE FREE FREE. go with the manual trans bro, you'll enjoy it more. i did and i'm glad i did it!

if you do the AOD route, it requires a special AOD cross member (same as a TKO)

Performance Automatic have entire kits for your application too! you can even look at them on www.mustangunlimited.com

if you buy the entire kit from www.moderndriveline.com like i did, he ships for FREE FREE FREE, oh yeah did i say FREE FREE FREE. go with the manual trans bro, you'll enjoy it more. i did and i'm glad i did it!

Performance Automatic have entire kits for your application too! you can even look at them on www.mustangunlimited.com
Thanks O! I've though it over and decided I'll keep this '71 an Automatic and it will be the cool cruiser with the stock A/C going back in next :) Going to be a cool daily driver and not have to shift all the time. I'll check out mustangsunlimited. Thanks again!

I highly doubt "FREE FREE FREE" to me in Hawaii LOL! Anyhow, just got off the phone with PATC and he said if my car came with the C6 trans then I may have a problem with the cross member they have. Do you have a part number to the cross member you used? I see you've got the TKO. I found a few of them TKO's for a good price in the Mainland, but shipping killed the deal.. as always! Now I'm thinking of just going all stock with the zbar and toploader trans. Oh, what to do...oh what to do? That is the question.

Thanks,

DJ

I highly doubt "FREE FREE FREE" to me in Hawaii LOL! Anyhow, just got off the phone with PATC and he said if my car came with the C6 trans then I may have a problem with the cross member they have. Do you have a part number to the cross member you used? I see you've got the TKO. I found a few of them TKO's for a good price in the Mainland, but shipping killed the deal.. as always! Now I'm thinking of just going all stock with the zbar and toploader trans. Oh, what to do...oh what to do? That is the question.

Thanks,

DJ
i believe mustang plus has the cross member for our cars! i believe the 67-73 uses the same AOD xmember!

I did a swap with a newer cousin to the AOD, the 4r70w

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fmx-to-4r70w-swap?highlight=fmx+to+4r70w

it is an electronic controled or manual shift only tranny. But it is 1" longer than an most AOD's so you may be able to use the C-6 crossmember which is the same as my FMX crossmember that I had to modify but since the AOD is shorter it may just be the right length.

Good luck with the project

I did a swap with a newer cousin to the AOD, the 4r70w

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fmx-to-4r70w-swap?highlight=fmx+to+4r70w

it is an electronic controled or manual shift only tranny. But it is 1" longer than an most AOD's so you may be able to use the C-6 crossmember which is the same as my FMX crossmember that I had to modify but since the AOD is shorter it may just be the right length.

Good luck with the project
Thanks Olie and Jeff! Jorgem, I hear about swaps but can't say I've seen a 4r70W swap before. Let me look into your fmx swap. I'm pretty sure i've seen this type of trans for sale here locally. Interesting, thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back