Anyone know how many 3 speed manuals were made in 71??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how many 3 speed manual, 351C 2v, mach 1's were built?? I always thought most 351's that were manual trannys were usually 4 speeds?? Anyone have any ideas? Saw a 71 mach 1 last night with a 3speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure -

1,559 1971 Mach 1's with the 351-2V H code motors were built with the 3 speed manual transmission.

Roughly 11% or 15,960 of the total 149,682 1971 model Mustangs built were equipped with the 3 speed manual transmission.

Ray

Sure -

1,559 1971 Mach 1's with the 351-2V H code motors were built with the 3 speed manual transmission.

Roughly 11% or 15,960 of the total 149,682 1971 model Mustangs built were equipped with the 3 speed manual transmission.

Ray
Thanks Ray. So this car could be fairly rare car? I told the guy to get a Marti report to find out. Its a pretty nice car. It was his dads car that bought it brand new and he inherited it. only 58000 miles on it from TX. I might be doing some work on it for him this winter.

Not that it is super desirable to collectors but you can tell him there were More Boss 351's built (1806) than 71 Mach 1's with his engine/trans combo.

One thing that makes it rare in a general kind of way - Many cars with 3 speed manuals have been modified by replacing the original transmission for a 4-speed. It is a fairly popular mod. But leaving it original makes it rare in that sense. Not many original cars running around anymore.

A Marti report and a factory invoice are always nice to have. Car sounds relatively unmolested/undisturbed. Try and get him to join us and either you or him {please} get some pictures on here!

Ray

Yeah it a different car for sure. Factory AC. No mach 1 blackout or stripes. has the lower chrome molding instead of stripes. No rear spoiler. Original carb, intake, single exhaust 351c 2v, 3 speed trans. Very original under the hood. Standard interior. no console, idiot lights. interior has never been out of the car, so I will try to find an invoice under the carpet or back seat. No chin spoiler. He said he was going to get the marti and come check our site out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to get any pics of it at my house, but he did send me one.

2cz1xfo.jpg

That is a VERY NICE looking car and a very nice inheritance to remember his Dad by.

As it was a one owner car, I'll bet a dime to a dollar that the build sheet(s) are still under the back carpet underlay behind the driver's seat. He doesn't have to rip up the carpet to get to them, but it will take a bit of careful work removing the rear seat deck, side panel, rocker trim plate etc.

I found three build sheets in mine, 2 behind and 1 in front of the driver's seat. Worth looking for and valuable information to have.

See picture of my find below.

Latest posts

Back