Anyone running a Motorcraft 2150 2V Carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
-Former 70 & 72 Mustang coupes owner.
-69 Torino GT, Formal Roof, 351W, Edelbrock 600 cfm, dual plane high rise intake, long tube headers, AOD trans, dual flowmasters, Pertronix II Billet, 3.5 TRACLOC g/r, 15" Magnum 500s, 100A alt, mini-starter
-70 Mach 1, 351W, FMX
Gurus,

Is anyone running a Motorcraft 2150 Carb by chance? Someone has one local I might pick up for $35 and I've been having carb drama (surging) with my 2100 that was recently rebuilt.

It has an electric assist choke from what I can tell in the pics and the EGR stuff. The dashpot has a solenoid from what I can tell on the end of it. Where should I pull the 12V source from (Starter Solenoid)?

Worse case I'd like to have it on-hand as spare parts and I'll likely learn how to rebuild it since I don't want to ruin the one I have (just in case).

Do you folks see any issues trying to run that one on a 302? I'm not sure of the venturi size but it's a model D5OE-HA so it should be adequately sized for a stock 302.

KR

2150.JPG

I have the same carb from my 77' Cougar, I'm holding onto it just in case.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this, I rebuilt it about 3 years ago and it hasd been sittng in my laundry room ever since then.

I have a 2v intake and that same carb laying in the garage. Ran great when pulled I looked at it yesterday and still seems very clean. I may give them away in the pay it forward section if someone pays to ship.

It's an updated version of the Autolite 2100 with a pair of air metering rods in the mix.

They are great when they work, but the biggest pain you'll ever find when they don't. Both of my Lincolns ('78 and '79) run them on top of the 400; one failed about 5 years ago. Rebuilt it 3 or 4 times to no avail - so I bought another, rebuilt it, and had the same exact problem.

Ultimately - after a lot of trial-and-error tinkering with the two bad 2150s and the good one off my '78 - I determined that both of the troublesome main bodies developed plugging through one of the inaccessible ports cast into it.

Funny thing - I could have used one of these to get the '79 Continental back up and running, but it looks as if it may be leaving the stable shortly. We'll see.

-Kurt

Gents,

Thanks for the replies. I picked her up for $35 and it's REALLY pretty close to my 2100s from 67 and 70. The choke is just an automatic and there's not dashpot or dashpot solenoid. There's EGR stuff which I'm sure I can cap but the real difference is the choke pulldown assembly is completely different from my 67 and 70 model 2100s.

Ken

Back