anyone using a pertronix 12v relay switch on 71-351 4V ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycoses

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach-1 351C
planning to install pertronix dist but have to install 12v relay and so would like feedback on how it goes in since my voltage reg plug has no 'I' wire

Both Pertronix and RCCI make relay kits to do this.

Pertronix is barebones, the RCCI option also includes an option for coil input voltage and fail-safes so if the relay does go bad your Pertronix device(s) will still receive power (reduced, but enough to keep the car running).

Pertronix from Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/2001/10002/-1

RCCI P001 or P002: http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-relays

Legendary Cougar Magazine did an install and review of both: http://www.rccinnovations.com/reviews/Pedapter.pdf

im running into the same thing. no i wire on regulator plug. anyone have an answer?

I put in the Pertronix relay when I installed the P3 into my distributor. Straight forward installation. Took all of about an hour from start to finish including installing the pertronix 3 and new coil. Started right up and has not skipped a beat since. I mounted the relay on the passenger side inner fender near the solenoid. Made for a straight shot with the wires to keep it clean.

When I did my engine in 2012, the shop installed the P3, but at that time, I was unaware that there even was a relay. The instructions I got required a 10 gauge wire directly from the back of the ignition switch and to remove (bypass) the pink resistance wire. Now I have to install a resistor so that the new re-rebuild can be set up with points again until we get my ignition wows sorted. So, my question is this; can I install the relay and then reconnect the pink resistor wire, or is it best to still get the power from the back of the switch. I know it has to be full 12V from a switched source? Comments? I think this may also help the original poster.

I have the diagram. But according to that it says to install the supplied diode on the I wire that is shown in the diagram as being in the plug to the voltage regulator. Maybe I will try it without the diode as described and see if my engine turns off. All other parts of the stallion I get

Thanks for the reply 73. Now that I look at it more it may be cars without tach have that wire. Does ur tach work?

I do not have a factory tach. I have an aftermarket tach mounted where my missing clock should be. Tach lead is hooked directly to the coil.

I did not have an I terminal at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize this is an older thread but since it has had some recent activity, I wanted to add a comment.

The RCCI pedapter or Pertronix relay both seem like great ideas for someone without a factory tach.

However, am I correct in my thinking that if someone has a factory tach and that goes bad, the ignition circuit (resistor wire) is open and neither of these will work at that point?

It looks like the Pertronix relay is using the ignition lead as a trigger for the relay. Is the Pedapter the same?

It may be better to wire the Pertronix to a switched +12v that you know is going to stay there or install a new 3 wire tach that doesnt involve the resistor wire.

Back