AOD swap OD question - Answered

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
I was perusing my swapped vehicle owners manual, a 1987 TBird, and I saw the OD button function on the shifter. I pulled the 5.0/AOD package for my 73, but I don’t remember seeing any connections on the AOD to keep it from moving into 4th great when I wired it up. Anyone who’s made the AOD swap have any insights how to enable the OD lockout electrically? Thank you.

Not aware about any electrical connections that could change the way it works. There is nothing inside the trans that is connected to anything aside the one way switch that could be used to replace the safety switch in our cars.
You mind sharing your answer?

Yes, the AOD does not have an electrical OD lockout, but the AODE and 4R70’s type do. I found out, my shifter, which is from my 87, has P R N OD D 1. If i put it in D, it will only do 1-2-3. If i use OD, it will do 1-2-3-OD. When I've driven the car in town, it moves to OD more than I would want. The minute I give it any gas, it immediately moves to 2. I wanted to avoid that. So, now i know.

Yes, the AOD does not have an electrical OD lockout, but the AODE and 4R70’s type do. I found out, my shifter, which is from my 87, has P R N OD D 1. If i put it in D, it will only do 1-2-3. If i use OD, it will do 1-2-3-OD. When I've driven the car in town, it moves to OD more than I would want. The minute I give it any gas, it immediately moves to 2. I wanted to avoid that. So, now i know.
Did you set your throttle valve pressure per the service manual?

Yes, per the 1987 Ford service manual. I understand from other TBird/Mustang owners this is a common complaint. My issue is compounded with 2.7 rear axle.

It is designed to downshift to 2nd whenever you need it to downshift, so that is set up properly. As for shifting up to OD in town, that makes me wonder what rear end gear ratio you have. It really shouldn't do that under about 45 mph.

For what it’s worth, it’s really hard to tell when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. I have a weird dark spot on the bottom left of the tach, and the engine is already at such a low rpm, it’s just not a certainly it’s doing it. But I’ll try the D selection for a while to see if I like it. I’ve driven it enough that I believe it’s shifting fine, from a full power start up to 80ish and from a very gentle start up to 35.

Back