Are the 351C big block engines?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you compare a Chevy 350 to a Cleveland side by side,

the Cleveland is WAY bigger.

mike
True!! But thats only cause of the big heads...And cause of the clevelands advanced castings it weights less than the average 350 chevy small block..Isnt that wild?

Ford 351 Cleveland 550lb (48) (includes BOSS and Australian 302-C)

Chevy small block V8 575lb (generic for '60s-'70s motors)

Take that chevy!! hehe our clevelands are allmost 25 pounds lighter ..What a motor..and those are long block stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many oldtimer mechanics refer to it as a big block.

Have also heard it refered to as Ford's big small block

and Ford's small big block. Hope that clears things up.

You try and find parts for the engine and you often find

yourself in the big block section.

mike

When I bought my 73 and converted the 2V heads to 4V man tried to tell me I was making it a big block. However in my freinds 62 Galaxie Sunliner was a Marti 352. When I rebuilt the engine it was stamped 352. I had a 66 Thunderbird Marti 390. Tore it down and block was stamped 352. Think that is where a lot of the old folklore originated. The 390 had heads so big they actually used part of the intake manifold as the inner half of the head and the intake must have weighed 50 pounds. The Cleveland by engineering design IS A FE SMALL BLOCK! Read the artricle Roy presented.

BTW Feels great to own something that can eat a TRUE CHEBBY BB!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always considered the 351C a mid sized block...only because there are so many that call it a big block while other others call it a small block.

Jim

Most "authoritative" Ford publications describe the 351 Cleveland as a "small block."

That having been said and after having dealt with Clevelands for a LONG time in a previous life, I must agree with Jim. In the mid-70s, the Cleveland was usually described as a mid-size block which is why they were often required to carry more weight in certain classes where they competed with other small blocks.

Just my $.02 :)!

BT

Most "authoritative" Ford publications describe the 351 Cleveland as a "small block."

That having been said and after having dealt with Clevelands for a LONG time in a previous life, I must agree with Jim. In the mid-70s, the Cleveland was usually described as a mid-size block which is why they were often required to carry more weight in certain classes where they competed with other small blocks.

Just my $.02 :)

The reason why the cleveland had to have more weight is because the cheby guys cried , because they could not run with the clevelands. It had nothing to do with the block. The end .It was and still is a small block .Whisnane

Latest posts

Back