Austin Vert Reviews Convex Passengers Mirror

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just wanted to give a quick review of the Scott Drake convex passengers side external mirror for the 123 Mustangs.This mirror caught my eye, seemed like a good idea, so i thought i would buy it and give it a try.

As you would be aware, the surface area size of our sports mirrors is not large compared to todays external side mirrors.That makes vision from the passengers side mirror fairly tricky, especially with the Sportsroof models. It's crucial to rely on that mirror for safe driving. Scott Drake has come up with a stick on mirror glass to be placed directly over the original glass mirror that is convex by design, and thus give an improved wider vision range for the driver.

Scott Drake, advises that this convex mirror can be either stuck on with double sided tape or siliconed glued on. I chose the tape method and got good no mess, no fuss results. 3m make a good quality external double sided tape with a very thin profile. Don't choose or buy a double sided tape that's too thick. It's not necessary, and the mirror will protrude out too far as well. I chose a local product that will suit me well.

Application is easy. Lay a clean rag out on the table. Place the mirror face down, and apply the tape in strips covering the entire back surface of the mirror. Let the tape protrude out further than the edge of the mirror all around.Grab a very sharp cutting blade, razor blade or box cutter, and carefully trim the excess tape from the perimeter edge. Line up,and carefully apply and firm down the mirror to the original one. Remember to clean both mirror surfaces with a good window cleaner prior to sticking on the tape and sticking of the mirror to the original to gain max adhesion.

That's it. I road tested it and found it a good improvement to the stock mirror for better vision. Also, when you're sitting in the drivers seat and you want to adjust that passengers side mirror, it's a real pain. I came up with a little idea to help solve the problem, by purchasing a small length of pine moulding from my hardware store which is 1/2 inch square, and about 2 feet long. I gave the two ends a rounded edge sanding and sprayed the stick with a quick dry matt black paint from a rattle can. This helper stick makes adjusting the passengers side mirror easy,and a breeze now when i'm in the drivers seat. I store the stick on the floor tucked in between my drivers seat and the center console wall. It's out of site and does not get in the way of anyone as well. Grab it when you need it, and it's always at the ready.

I like this product and would recommend it to all 123 owners. I give it 4 out of 5. See my pics below.

Scott Drake mirror reference .............................

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C9ZZ-17696-CNVX.aspx?wid=141

005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Last year I installed the convex side mirror on my 71 coup and it helps! But that 'Stick' is a good tip... I will use that

Thanks

Steve

Appreciate the great review. There are so many products out there begging for your hard earned money that promise everything and are junk and deliver nothing. Mirror is now on order and next trip out is to home depot for a piece of moulding and paint. So glad you have a fix for adjusting an almost useless right side mirror!!

We had no glass for the right side so this was the natural choice. It really helps make up for the poor rear view mirror view

Good job! Those modern stick tapes are so cool. I started using them for many things from holding things in place until I have a free hand to downright using them outside to hang things up on the wall.

Nice touch with the matte black stick. You could make them, give them a funky name and sell them. :) There´s money on the street you just need to pick it up. :)

Good job! Those modern stick tapes are so cool. I started using them for many things from holding things in place until I have a free hand to downright using them outside to hang things up on the wall.

Nice touch with the matte black stick. You could make them, give them a funky name and sell them. :) There´s money on the street you just need to pick it up. :)
Thanks Mike,

Yeah, we could market it as Austin Vert's Mighty Mirror Adjuster.:)

I must say i always thought it was rather poor the Ford did not offer a cable remote controlled passengers side mirror for the Mustangs like other models of the day did. Especially when you consider what a safety advantage and a practical advantage that concept brings to the car.

Ah yes, the old pre electric mirror days!:p

Greg.:)

I installed one about 2-3 years ago. It was one of the best upgrades I have done.

For modern traffic it is a must and increases car drivability.

I used the silicon method and I removed the original mirror.

The instructions recommended cleaning the surface of the mounting area. I made the mistake of using 100% alcohol , the mistake was I cleaned the back of the new mirror thinking it would help with the silicone glue. Well the alcohol started to remove the sliver from the back of the new mirror, so do not use cleaning products on the back of the convex mirror. After that little mistake I glued it to the mirror frame using 100% exterior silicone sealant that was mold resistant.

Let it dry for 24 hours and enjoy.

I recommended it to friends. It massively reduced the right side blind spot and makes a right lane change much easier.

Thumbs up

Thanks for bringing up this thread and thank you Greg for the post. Just ordered mine today. If only there was a similar fix for the drivers side... You kind of get spoiled with the more modern larger ones. It had been so long since I had driven a 73, I had forgotten how small the mirrors are.

Scott

Greg, I didn't notice your post on the Scott Drake convex mirror before I posted what I came up with. Didn't know there was one! That is an easier solution for sure, just buy it and stick it on, however looking at the pics, it is no wider than the original. My idea adds an extra 1/2" to the width, but like I said, it is not a cheap fix by the time one buys the mirrors, makes the backer plates and get the glass cut. All-in-all my cost will be about 60 bucks. There's always more than one way to skin a cat!!

Geoff.

I too put one on my car and I am very pleased with it. Initially I taped it on over the old mirror, but it overtaxed the loose adjusting mechanism so I removed it, broke out the old mirror, tightened up the pivot ball by re staking the rivets and put it on with black RTV- it works great now.

As to the driver's side . . . it is not legal, but the convex mirror will fit there as well . . . I'm not saying anyone should do it, but I'm also not saying it is a bad idea. Just not saying :)

I bought 2 for that very reason. I'll have to check on whether it's legal or not in Texas... I wouldn't think it would be a problem though, since the warning disclaimer is on it. ::shrug::

I could only find Scott Drake's site, but could not come up with a dealer in Ontario, Canada. Can someone let me know here to buy these? NPD don't look like they have them. Couldn't find a listing.

Thanks,

Geoff

** What happened to the EDIT button??**

I could only find Scott Drake's site, but could not come up with a dealer in Ontario, Canada. Can someone let me know here to buy these? NPD don't look like they have them. Couldn't find a listing.

Thanks,

Geoff

I have them - 21.95 including US shipping

Item #C9ZZ-17696-CNVX

69-73 SPORT MIRROR CONVEX GLASS, RH

PM me your postal code for a Canadian shipping cost / quote

Thanks,

Geoff

I have them - 21.95 including US shipping

Item #C9ZZ-17696-CNVX

69-73 SPORT MIRROR CONVEX GLASS, RH

PM me your postal code for a Canadian shipping cost / quote
Thanks Don. I pm'd you on this. Did you happen to see my post #13 on thread, "passenger mirror won't adjust"? I have an option I'm working on that may offer a larger view. Not got it on the car yet, but in theory???

Geoff.

Back