Auto Trans witchcraft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
I get the basic concept of an Auto trans with its complex ring gears and planetary's.... but one thing I have never been able to figure out 

How does the liquid lunch - get to the flux capacitor?

Pan -> filter -> pick up tube -> oil pump -> torque converter.

Voilà.

:whistling:

Cheers Frank
Thanks Vicus ... but the torque converter is spinning connected to a central shaft splined in 3 places; as far as I can see there is no gallery for fluids at that point.

I have examined loads of Youtube videos on how these work -- but none of them explain where the fluids go - how they get about 

Is the central shaft hollow? ...but then how do you get fluid into a rotation central shaft? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Between oil pump and torque converter is first the converter pressure regulator valve, then control pressure regulator valve then through the turbine shaft to the converter. 

Converter on one side drives the oil pump and is also supplied by the oil pump with new oil.

The turbine shaft is a tube in a tube which supplies and disposes the converter. So oil circle is given.

After its way through the converter it routes to the oil cooler and then back to the pan.

Cheers

Frank

Between oil pump and torque converter is first the converter pressure regulator valve, then control pressure regulator valve then through the turbine shaft to the converter. 

Converter on one side drives the oil pump and is also supplied by the oil pump with new oil.

The turbine shaft is a tube in a tube which supplies and disposes the converter. So oil circle is given.

After its way through the converter it routes to the oil cooler and then back to the pan.

Cheers

Frank
Hey Frank ... thank you ...makes more sense now. I'm a complete auto-trans novice

Cheers

Frank
Hey Frank ... thank you ...makes more sense now. I'm a complete auto-trans novice
If you need further information, let me know. 

Cheers Frank

Back