B&M Shifter in 71-73 Mustang/Cougar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hello! Has any one here put a B&M shifter, like a Starshifter, in their 71-73 Mustang/Cougar with a good result? Like cosmetically, without throwing out the center console.

Im going to buy a shift kit for my C6 and was thinking a Starshifter as well.

But im worried that it will be hard to install if keeping the center console relatively intact since the park is very far forward on these shifters im afraid that it will collide with the radio if installed in the same place as the stock shifter.

If anyone has done this, i would appreciate pictures and/or advice

I used a b&M ratchet shifter its similar shifter to the starshifter, I have a c6 in my cougar and had good luck. I put the full console in storage. Didn't want to cut it up to make it work.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i guess it is hard to install the shifter with the console relatively intact. Maybe i just have to take it out, but i really would like to have it.

Been looking at both B&M Starshifter and B&M Pro Ratchet shifters.

I put a B&M Star shifter in mine. I think it turned out pretty good. I was able to keep the long console too. I didn't use the plastic base that comes with the shifter. I just used the rubber boot and the metal chrome bezel. The original console will need to be notched a little at the front and back to clear the shifter. I wasn't too concerned with that because my console is not original to the car and it already has some fiberglass in it. I filled the console hole with fiberglass to make it nice and level up to the clock. Then I cut the hole needed for the shifter arm clearance. Installed it, then put the rubber boot and chrome bezel over it and centered it all up. Used small chrome screws down into the fiberglsass to hold the rubber boot and bezel in place. Turned out pretty good.

Heres a pic of the piece you will need to fill and cut/trim to fit the shifter.

29pchfm.jpg

Heres a couple pics of the finished product. I think it turned out pretty good and love the ratchet shifter. Lots of fun. These are the only two I have right now. But if you want more of the whole thing let me know.

10r79s6.png

1zo98jd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly what im looking for!! That is the look im after in my car.

Would love some more pictures of your solution.

Did a couple installations of the Hurst Quarter Stick and these shifters were always flawless. Not a big fan of the lower end ratchet shifters, they always hung up or would just be a PITA.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3160009/overview/

That said, I'm not a big fan of ratchet shifters period. In my cars, I was always happy with a stock Ford automatic shifter with a fresh set of bushings. Had just enough friction to click gear to gear if you put a little thought into it.

I just removed a B&M Megashifter that was connected to FMX.

It worked well, no complaints I just put a manual trans in.

65bz0z.jpg

It will B 4 Sale soon and includes;

Shifter with new cable and boot

Fabricated floor mounting plate and trans lever mounting plate done by PO.

The gear position needle never worked as the small cable is broken.

Replacement parts are still available.

The shifters floor box is cut down to fit on top of center console (without console top trim piece)

PM me

I will have photos soon.

Paul

Back