Bad news for the Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to hear it’s going pretty good so far. I have Hagerty too and they were very good to me. The insurance adjuster was kind of a jerk, but I didn’t have to really deal with him. Your first estimate will be a lot lower than the the total will end up being. At least mine was by 10K. They missed a lot of stuff and had the cost of the paint only about half of what it cost.

As long as your damages are not more than 75% of your value of the the car, they won’t total it. I think your damage is very similar to what mine were. I ended up having about 24K in damages, which actually went over their 75% threshold, but they approved it anyway. The thing that does make it longer to get fixed is waiting for the adjuster and getting the supplements approved. Here’s a couple pics of my smashed front end.

Great to hear it’s going pretty good so far. I have Hagerty too and they were very good to me. The insurance adjuster was kind of a jerk, but I didn’t have to really deal with him. Your first estimate will be a lot lower than the the total will end up being. At least mine was by 10K. They missed a lot of stuff and had the cost of the paint only about half of what it cost.

As long as your damages are not more than 75% of your value of the the car, they won’t total it. I think your damage is very similar to what mine were. I ended up having about 24K in damages, which actually went over their 75% threshold, but they approved it anyway. The thing that does make it longer to get fixed is waiting for the adjuster and getting the supplements approved. Here’s a couple pics of my smashed front end.

Thanks for the heads up John. My insurance is still through my old company but Hagerty now owns them. It will completely switch over later this year. 

I specifically asked my insurance what the threshold was for totaling it, 75%, 80% ??? They said It was 100% of the agreed upon value of the car, which in my case is $36,000. I really hope that's true!! Either way its gonna be close.  But one way or another my car will be fixed. Thanks again for the info!!!

Hmm... 100%? Well maybe they changed their policy? Either way I’m sure they will cover the damage. That’s great news, sounds like it’s all going to work out.

Here’s a better pic of my car at the Mustang Craftsmen Shop. The first one was right before they replaced the front cross member. The insurance company only wanted them to pull it out, but the shop said no way, it needs to be replaced. The second one was after the rad core support and cross member was replaced. Anyway they really did a good job on my car.

Ya very similar. The only big difference is that my fenders didn’t get much damage. The right side was saved and the left could have been but they got a new one. I didn’t care, it was a repo already. And my doors weren’t ajar either, they both opened and closed like before the accident. Hopefully that’s all the difference, but you mention that your shock tower looks moved. Mine wasn’t, but my motor mounts broke and my engine was pushed back about an inch.

Make sure that you don’t get rid of any of the hood latch support stuff. It’s not reproduced other than the hood latch, which amazingly, yours looks like it’s ok. And while I’m thinking about it when you get new turn signal lights, make sure they are wired correctly. I got what I thought was a bad light assembly, but it was wired wrong from the place that makes them. I got it from NPD, but I bet they are all made by the same supplier. I know that part is a ways down the road, but hopefully not to far.

Thanks for the heads up John. My insurance is still through my old company but Hagerty now owns them. It will completely switch over later this year. 

I specifically asked my insurance what the threshold was for totaling it, 75%, 80% ??? They said It was 100% of the agreed upon value of the car, which in my case is $36,000. I really hope that's true!! Either way its gonna be close.  But one way or another my car will be fixed. Thanks again for the info!!!
That's how I have mine insured as well.  It's a separate classic car policy, but thru State Farm.  I don't know if Hagerty or Heacock has anything to do with them, but I'm pretty sure if mine were to suffer the same fate, I would have similar circumstances (full agreed upon value vs. the 75% threshold).

It definitely pays to have classic car specific insurance.

Ya very similar. The only big difference is that my fenders didn’t get much damage. The right side was saved and the left could have been but they got a new one. I didn’t care, it was a repo already. And my doors weren’t ajar either, they both opened and closed like before the accident. Hopefully that’s all the difference, but you mention that your shock tower looks moved. Mine wasn’t, but my motor mounts broke and my engine was pushed back about an inch.

Make sure that you don’t get rid of any of the hood latch support stuff. It’s not reproduced other than the hood latch, which amazingly, yours looks like it’s ok. And while I’m thinking about it when you get new turn signal lights, make sure they are wired correctly. I got what I thought was a bad light assembly, but it was wired wrong from the place that makes them. I got it from NPD, but I bet they are all made by the same supplier. I know that part is a ways down the road, but hopefully not to far.
Thanks for the info. i found out about the lights being wired wrong also on the yellow mach 1 i did for a gentleman a couple years ago. So they have been making them wrong for a few years.

Just saw this thread, so sorry to hear and see these pic. Kinda hurts me inside to see the damage but the good thing is, is that you are ok and definitely have the skills and abilities to fix it. Good luck brother and it will all work out.

Tom

Jpaz ..please ...we're sqeemish ... please dont show these again ... the last time was enough.. I needed therapy afterward. I'm still taking the pills. 

These images should be covered by the Surgeon general's warning ....DO NOT LOOK AT THESE, THEY CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH. 

Good god man, I didn't have the accident ...but when I opened the shot of the car welded to that post .. even I felt the crunch...and I'm 5000 miles away.  :whistling:

The adjuster/appraiser came out yesterday afternoon. Not much info. He took lots of pics and crawled all over it. I explained to him how some of the damaged parts are not reproduced and he understood that. He asked for me to help produce a list of the damaged parts and where to get them. I'm glad he's letting me work with him on the estimate, it may save alot of trouble later down the line. I sent Don at OMS a BIG list and I'm sure i missed some stuff. I will keep you guys posted. He said i should hear from him next week.

The adjuster/appraiser came out yesterday afternoon.  Not much info. He took lots of pics and crawled all over it. I explained to him how some of the damaged parts are not reproduced and he understood that. He asked for me to help produce a list of the damaged parts and where to get them. I'm glad he's letting me work with him on the estimate, it may save alot of trouble later down the line. I sent Don at OMS a BIG list and I'm sure i missed some stuff.  I will keep you guys posted. He said i should hear from him next week.
That’s good to that the adjuster was asking about parts for it. That will for sure help speed up the process. The adjuster I had was one of those know it all guys and he didn’t know shit about my car. He missed so much stuff doing the initial estimate. He was 10K under the final, so it took longer to get all the supplements approved. Even the shop owner that did my car repairs said he was the worst adjuster he’s ever worked with. Sounds like your guy knows what he’s doing. 

Hey Kevin if I can help you out at all with any of this just let me know.

Kevin, hope you had all your car show trophies on display when the adjuster came out.

You could have mixed in the kids karting and baseball ones too   :whistling: 

Look around the interior of the car at the plastic trim

Console mounts, pillar trim, door panels.

Things you may have hit with your body and not known it or things that cracked from the shock wave and being brittle.

Also the spoiler stands and mounts

Kevin, hope you had all your car show trophies on display when the adjuster came out.

You could have mixed in the kids karting and baseball ones too   :whistling: 

Look around the interior of the car at the plastic trim

Console mounts, pillar trim, door panels.

Things you may have hit with your body and not known it or things that cracked from the shock wave and being brittle.

Also the spoiler stands and mounts
lollerz Thanks Don I should of done that!! Lol. I will take a look around it some more this weekend. I don’t remember seeing anything inside broke but I didn’t really look. Wasn’t much of an impact but it sure did crinkle the old girl!

You can get some parts off of this one, been seeing it on FB for about 2 months now, started at 35K, looks a lot like your car

guess the only way to link a fb page is to get creative. copy and past the 3 lines below in one motion

https://

www.

facebook.com/marketplace/item/233404344489457/

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that could prevent this ever happening again is something most will not believe. I lived and worked in China for 17 months. When customers would come over they about had heart attacks when out in the vehicles. There are no stop signs in China. When you come to an intersection it is up to everyone to avoid you as you pull in. Yes they have a merge in lane to pull into. I never saw an accident the whole time I was there. Only rear end hits from being on phone or texting probably. 

We had to turn across three lanes on oncoming traffic to go to may apartment. You just went there was no light you just went head on into bumper to bumper traffic. Entirely different thought process but if for sure works there but too late for here.

I found a NOS set of front fenders for $1,200. Trying to get more pics from the seller. Driver side door has a dent so I want some more pics.  But I didn’t think that was a bad price. Since repops  are going for $400-500 a piece. Hopefully the dent isn’t too bad. 

That does seem like a good price and you can't beat original metal ... especially fenders ... the repro fenders are hit and miss as far as fitting

Make sure there is a sticker inside that fender with the part number or date code stamped in the metal ...

Last edited by a moderator:
That does seem like a good price and you can't beat original metal ... especially fenders ... the repro fenders are hit and miss as far as fitting

Make sure there is a sticker inside that fender with the part number or date code stamped in the metal ...
Here are some pics Don. Do they look legit to you? They still had Ford brown paper wrapping. 

Back