Bad news for the Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad to see what happened to your car, glad to hear you were not hurt. You are the fourth person I know that has had a classic car hit in the last 30 days or so. I guess I'll keep mine in the garage a bit longer. I hope the insurance company treats you right. Hang in there. Chuck

Kevin, First so glad you're okay, that's the real concern. The rest can be fixed. It just sucks that you likely won't get to enjoy your car much this season, if at all. 

I  honestly don't know what goes through people's minds these days when driving, but it certainly isn't on driving. Nobody seems to look past the end of the hood. To me, there's no such thing as an accident, it's a "stupidity" plain and simple. An accident is something no-one has any control over, a car crash is always caused by someone doing something stupid, as it was in your case.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you get it back to where you're happy with it, but it may never be the same in your mind.

All the best,

Geoff.

Very sorry to see the damage, but glad you are okay. I have always admired your car in your posts, and wish you the best of luck with the insurance stuff and the repairs. If you run across a part listed in my neck of the woods (Piedmont Triad area of NC) and you need someone to look at it, just let me know.

Sorry to hear and see this Kevin. It breaks my heart. After putting so much work in your car then this happens. It can be fixed but it will take a long time and that bites. We work on the off season to have the cars neat and then this happens. It is hitting 70s here today and I was planing on going for a cruise. I will go slower than normal until I get to the highway. As many have stated, there are too many distracted people out there driving cars that are easily replaceable. Not us, our cars are priceless due to rarity and all the time we have spent to make them look whatever way we want.

It upsets me to watch cars and even 16-wheelers on the highway driving erratic and when you pull next to them they are totally embedded in their phones. Then I blow the horn and gesture them, and they look at you like if you are the maniac.

I wish the best of luck trying to fix it. I wish I was closer to help.

Thanks guys. I got a message from the other guys insurance. They don’t think he has enough coverage to cover my car. What a surprise. They need more info from me and my insurance. Luckily part of my coverage has underinsured coverage in my policy. So I will give them a call tomorrow and see where to go from there. The games begin already!

Thanks guys.  I got a message from the other guys insurance. They don’t think he has enough coverage to cover my car. What a surprise. They need more info from me and my insurance. Luckily part of my coverage has underinsured coverage in my policy. So I will give them a call tomorrow and see where to go from there.  The games begin already!
Did you call the police and was the other driver cited ?

Like everyone is saying good that you are ok but that really sucks. 

When they take a hit like that it shifts the whole car or Z's it. Good frame shop can get it back if the body can take the stress. I know I was looking at a Mustang on the insurance yard here a few years back only had a few hundred miles on it. I made notes of what I would need to fix and since it was brand new went to the Ford dealer with my list. When the parts guy saw my list he questioned me. He had looked up the same parts for a shop in town. They had it on frame machine pulling and it ripped the whole floor pan into under the back seat. This was a brand new car so zero rust and solid. They totaled it on the frame machine was about a $700 cost for the original parts needed.

When they put on frame machine they usually clamp down using the pinch welds under the rockers. Interior is probably good thing to look at the floors.

A few years ago a member put the info up on the 72 H code vert in Grand Rapids that had been crashed and was on craigslist. I ended up buying the car and when I went to get it the owner told me the story. He had $37,000 insurance until two weeks before the crash that was not his fault hit in rear. He had dropped to $16,500. When the insurance settled with him they handed him the title back and gave him the car. They did not put SALVAGE on it so still a clean title. If totaled in most states it becomes a salvage title.

The way the cars are welded together the hit near the end of the LH frame rail goes into the firewall and floor pan. Can actually put a buckle in the roof and move windshield opening. 

I fixed my 1984 Mustang that X wife crashed and the front end was moved 4" to one side so way out. They got it back perfect. I pulled any badly damaged panels off before it went to the frame machine to prevent them from springing when I cut them off. Me and friend did it in 7 days and had to replace rad support and both inner front fenders, nose, bumper hood and both front fenders. 

You might want to look around the insurance online auctions I have seen 71 73 on there often. Might find one hit from side on rear and get good front end parts. 

You will be back I am sure.

Thanks guys.  I got a message from the other guys insurance. They don’t think he has enough coverage to cover my car. What a surprise. They need more info from me and my insurance. Luckily part of my coverage has underinsured coverage in my policy. So I will give them a call tomorrow and see where to go from there.  The games begin already!
 I did call the police but they would not respond to the scene since there were no injuries.  Other driver was not cited but did tell his insurance it was his fault. They are definitely at fault. He ran a stop sign at a T intersection. I had no stop sign and my road was straight through. He has insurance but not sure if he has enough to cover my car. I will find out more tomorrow. My insurance company will cover my car then probably go after his.

Aw Man, that sucks!  Glad everybody's OK, but Damn.  I'll bet it was a handful to drive home.

Hopefully, insurance works out and you can get started putting her back together ASAP.  After seeing the work you did on the yellow one, I just know it'll be better than new when you finish up.

Hang in there, Kevin!  ::thumb::

Turtle5353,

I am still a little sick to my stomach about this whole thing.

Glad you were not injured, time to look foreward.

Boilermaster

Shame you didn't say you had hurt your back, neck or knee, if the medics were called, Police would have attended,

I know we don't always think of these things at the time but it might have helped slamming the door shut on any insurance counterclaim.

I have never had any good experiences with insurance companies, Even after a claim has been settled you then have to declare at each renewal that you have been involved in previous accidents, and they will add on an extra premium :( (Well they do in the UK ).

I did call the police but they would not respond to the scene since there were no injuries.  Other driver was not cited but did tell his insurance it was his fault. They are definitely at fault. He ran a stop sign at a T intersection. I had no stop sign and my road was straight through. He has insurance but not sure if he has enough to cover my car. I will find out more tomorrow. My insurance company will cover my car then probably go after his.

Glad you’re OK and man looking at your car hurts. Somebody would have to pick me up from the hospital or big house (Chuck/Ray).

I just went through this with my 2017. Your insurance will cover but then sue his for the rest. Eventually his insurance will settle.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a few calls yesterday from the insurance people. The other guy is woefully under-insured. He's only insured for $5,000. That's the state minimum in PA. His insurance has admitted fault. My insurance is going to take care of everything and once the repairs are done they will go after his insurance company for the balance. So as long as the repairs are under $36,000 my car will be fixed. I'm pretty confident it will be fixed. I cant see more than $20-22k worth of damage at the max. They are sending out a classic car appraiser/adjuster this afternoon to take a look at it. I will let you guys know how it goes. This is first time in 15+ years of owning this car that we have had to use any insurance claim. So far the process has been very painless and my company has done a great job, I'm hoping that trend continues. My insurance company was just bought out by Hagerty this past fall and is in the process of fulling transitioning to Hagerty. So i hope that doesn't throw any wrenches into the claim process. But it has been very smooth thus far. I will let you guys know how it plays out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back