bad timing issues, video

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming the car does not idle at an abnormally high rpm, then whether or not the vacuum advance is connected or disconnected should not make a difference (or not much of a difference) in how the engine idles unless it was hooked to a manifold (full) vacuum source or you forgot to plug the vacuum line in which case there was a vacuum leak.

If the initial timing changes when the vacuum advance is disconnected and plugged you need to figure out why.

You said you changed the balancer. Did you check TDC on the balancer with the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke? If not your timing may not be what you think it is.

You said you changed the cam. Is there any chance the cam timing could be off meaning the cam was not installed "straight up"?

Do you have an adjustable valve train? If so how was the lifter pre-load set?

Finally, with a new cam there is always the possibility that the lobes and/or lifters were damaged during break in.
when I did the cam swap,   as a dial indicator on the piston.  and not the balance is not 100% correct,  it's about 2* off,  but  could have just been fron the pointer.  no adjustable valvetrain,  it is all stock style,  minus  timming  and that it's slighty adjustable and not plastic gears haha . the cam is in fact  straight up. after I get it started it idles fine,  takes a bit to start but I suspect that's from the power valve in my car not working so well.  I have a Holley 650 that's needs a lot of work that I considered rebuilding and installing,  but I would rather rebuild this Carter care.  just not sure where to get the rebuild  maybe an edelbrock kit will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back