Battery and starter cables

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptrmzr

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351C 4V 4sp 3.50L
I have a 71 351C with a starter cable that needs replacing and I am trying to keep this car looking as original as possible (driven, but original and functional).

I bought a whole battery and starter set made by Alloy Metal Products from CJPony, but when it showed up it I noticed that the starter cable was lighter gauge than the Autolite original on my car (p/n D0ZF-14431-D).

IMG_5714.jpg
IMG_5715.jpg

Then I noticed that the set I bought was listed as a 'Standard Duty', but I wasn't given any other option when I selected them online. It turns out that CJs also offers a heavy duty set from Scott Drake that in the picture online looks like the right gauge although the battery clamps look strange to me...

bc17_1.5.jpg

So my questions (forgive my long winded run-up):

• Did the 351's come with the heavier cables?
  • Are those battery clamps correct?

The battery terminal ends are not correct on the ones you have. Call don at Ohio Mustang Supply for the correct ones. 1971 Mustang Boss 351, 429, and I believe, late 1971 351 CJ had the HD cables. Chuck

Chuck, Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow!

Don't forget that the neg ground cable should have an intermediate connection to the sheet metal under the voltage regulator as well.

Thanks Bill...I went back to the online pic and it has one...Whew!

The heavy duty set from Ohio Mustang Supply is sourced through Marti and they tend to be right on. Hopefully I'll receive it by Thursday otherwise I'll be installing the set in the hotel parking lot in Carlisle! (All Fords Weekend)

Thanks Bill...I went back to the online pic and it has one...Whew!

The heavy duty set from Ohio Mustang Supply is sourced through Marti and they tend to be right on. Hopefully I'll receive it by Thursday otherwise I'll be installing the set in the hotel parking lot in Carlisle! (All Fords Weekend)
Hey I switched it to 2 day priority mail - should be there by thurs

If not you will need to ruff up your post man :p

Don (?), Thank you!!!! While I'm on this subject I had another gremlin surface: I installed a remanufactured alternator from Autozone last night (the original was functioning, but frozen on its mounting bolt) and I'm measuring 13.6 volts across the battery terminals engine running (12.5 engine off), but the alternator housing is almost too hot to touch! I am going back this evening to exchange it for another.

Before I do can anyone suggest a way to pinpont the alternator as the problem and not the regulator.

Most Voltage Regulators will let 14.5-14.8V to the battery while the engine is running at moderate RPM. A hot alternator may indicate bad connections somewhere.

Back