Battery Relocation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studdley

Reaction score
My Car
72 Grande 351c, 73 Mach Rust
Thinking about doing a battery relocate to clean up the engine bay a little bit and for a little bit better weight distribution. What parts would you all use to going about doing so or would you opt for a kit. Also, where would you all route the wires through the cabin?

I got battery moved to trunk, my +/- cables are routed under passanger´s side door (don't know what that space is called) and through the firewall to engine compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got battery moved to trunk, my +/- cables are routed under passanger´s side door (don't know what that space is called) and through the firewall to engine compartment.
Do you have any pics of your set up?

It isn't solely about weight reduction, it is more about weight distribution and to a lesser degree, getting the battery away from engine heat

You need a battery box that is vented and the vent needs to exit the car- that is a hose run from the box and out through the trunk pan or drop off. If you will ever run it on a race course you need a battery cut off switch at the rear. Batteries will last longer if mounted with the wide side running across the car, but it is a relatively minor difference. If you don't have a roll cage, you can bolt right through the rear rail with 3/8ths threaded rod. A fuse in line is really the best way to wire it and if you wire it wrong it can damage your alternator when you switch off a disconnect. I did it a few years ago-there was a post floating around. Added a roll bar, so it is being relocated to yet a third location :D

I have a spare taylors aluminum battery box if you need one, I'll sell it at a fair price (just don't ask who it is fair to!)

It isn't solely about weight reduction, it is more about weight distribution and to a lesser degree, getting the battery away from engine heat

You need a battery box that is vented and the vent needs to exit the car- that is a hose run from the box and out through the trunk pan or drop off.  If you will ever run it on a race course you need a battery cut off switch at the rear.  Batteries will last longer if mounted  with the wide side running across the car, but it is a relatively minor difference.  If you don't have a roll cage, you can bolt right through the rear rail with 3/8ths threaded rod.  A fuse in line is really the best way to wire it and if you wire it wrong it can damage your alternator when you switch off a disconnect.  I did it a few years ago-there was a post floating around.  Added a roll bar, so it is being relocated to yet a third location :D

I have a spare taylors aluminum battery box if you need one, I'll sell it at a fair price (just don't ask who it is fair to!)
Luckily I already have a rust hole in my trunk so that I can run the vent tube there

Do you have any pics of your set up?
Seems that I only got pic where I routed it. Plus cable already in place. Minus cable fits also there. I used 6 AWG eletrical stranded copper cable.

I dunno, but #6 seems kinda light, google "moving battery to the trunk" and there are threads on pretty much every flavor of car out there . I'd also run the same gauge back up to the engine and a short strap to a good frame location near the trunk.

I dunno, but #6 seems kinda light, google "moving battery to the trunk" and there are threads on pretty much every flavor of car out there . I'd also run the same gauge back up to the engine and a short strap to a good frame location near the trunk.
+1, I wouldn't go smaller than 2 gauge, and to be extra conservative would go with 1/0 gauge. I also wouldn't use wiring designed for buildings, wrong strands and insulation.

Sorry I got it wrong I meant 50mm2 cable -> AWG 0. SORRY.

We use metric system so I made mistake...

And I used highly flexible rubber cable.

Back