Battery Size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
1973 Mustang

351 Cleveland 2bb, Code H

Hi all

My old Tang is running really good.  Still got a few issues but now it is time for her to get her own battery (not robbed from the Ute).

The bat compartment I think is the size for a 27F.

Trying to keep the old girl original.

What would you recommend as a suitable battery?

Roy

You can go "original", but it's costly and there's a waiting period.

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/GROUP-24-AUTOLITE-BATTERY-MAINTENANCE-FREE-SEALED-STYLE-P1603.aspx

To be honest, I hate paying big money for batteries, so I just get them from Walmart. Seems everywhere else wants over $100 for any 24F size battery. Even the top of the line Everstart MAXX is under $100 with 750CCA, compared to $150 or more at the usual auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance, Orelliy, NAPA)

I've have an Everstart Plus in my car that's 7 years old and it still cranks over no problem.

For my restomod I bought the battery cover... It looks pretty good and works for me.

Bru

I think it's a group 24 battery, but if you want to add the Autolite "cover", you need to make sure it is a flat top style or the cover won't fit. I too use the cover for looks and many people think I have the original Autolite battery.

Here's a picture. The L shape bracket from the apron to the hold-down no longer fits on mine though. (arrow in this pic is the ground cable to body connection)

I use the Ford batteries in my '71 J Code (pictured here) and the 24F version in my '73 351 car...

I recently had to replace the battery in my '72 Mach 1. After looking around I decided to invest a little extra in an Optima Red Top, mostly for the long life and resistance to going flat if the car isn't driven that often. I live in an apartment complex so, while I have covered parking, there's no way for me to hook up a trickle charger when I know I'm going to be leaving the car for a while and I got tired of finding the battery dead even if I took the time to disconnect it before covering it. Ran me about $175 at Advanced Auto but worth every penny. Strong cranking power, no issues with maintenance, and handles the vibration from the engine well. Another added bonus, no leaking!

This is the one I went with, in case you're interested. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery/35

A 73 would not have had an Autolite was changed to Motorcraft. I went to Ford dealer and got a new Mororcraft for my 73 Mach 1. They actually sold it to me for employee price since the dealers wife is in same Mustang club as I am. She drives a new Shelby vert.

Just make sure you buy one with the battery posts on the correct side.

Went and got a couple pics. In 73 Ford was forced to break up the Autolite company gov. said it was a monopoly. Anything that Autolite had supplied before went to the Motorcraft brand. Gas cap, air flilter, oil filter will have Motorcraft on it not Autolite. Here is pic of my original voltage regulator on the 73 and the battery I got at the Ford dealer. It sat at the Mustang Owner's Museum for 6 months and it started right up without a charge of boost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had to replace the battery in my '72 Mach 1. After looking around I decided to invest a little extra in an Optima Red Top, mostly for the long life and resistance to going flat if the car isn't driven that often. I live in an apartment complex so, while I have covered parking, there's no way for me to hook up a trickle charger when I know I'm going to be leaving the car for a while and I got tired of finding the battery dead even if I took the time to disconnect it before covering it. Ran me about $175 at Advanced Auto but worth every penny. Strong cranking power, no issues with maintenance, and handles the vibration from the engine well. Another added bonus, no leaking!

This is the one I went with, in case you're interested. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery/35
Be careful with the Optima batteries these days. The prices have gotten ridiculous and their warranty is now complete crap. It went from ten years down to two and IIRC,t he production went to Mexico. 

Odyssey has been getting positive feedback and Interstate has an excellent AGM battery. 

When my original Optima died after twelve years, I went o buy a new one and found out about the warranty. Said screw it and went with an Everstart Plus from Walmart. Seven years in, still fires it over effortlessly. They're still around $80 and that's hard to beat.

Look into batteries made by East Penn. They are sold under several names such as Deka and the Premium batteries from NAPA. They produce a great product and amazingly, are made in the USA. Go figure. Chuck

Look into batteries made by East Penn. They are sold under several names such as Deka and the Premium batteries from NAPA. They produce a great product and amazingly, are made in the USA. Go figure. Chuck

I've had a couple people recommend them to me as well.

Hey there, good recommendations.  My next door neighbor and the guy that does my lawn / landscaping (he has a side business) both work for East Penn / Deka battery.  I'm in Eastern PA and their plant is not too far away.  They do make a very good product.  One day last year, my neighbor recognized the guy who was mowing the lawn with his son and told me he works at the same plant.  Small world.  Their production is currently shutdown due to the coronavirus crisis.  Workers are laid off and collecting unemployment until things start up again.

Back