Bearing Seals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmach

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
76 Australian Ford Falcon XB
I picked up a pair of rear wheel bearings for my 73 Mach 1. The guy at NAPA said that there are two different kinds of seals for them. He asked me if I had WFD axles. I have no idea what he's talking about and he didn't know what a WFD axle was either. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I don't want to have to go back when I pull the bearing off.

The difference is one seal has a larger opening to accommodate the 31 spline axle and the smaller opening is for the 28 spline axle. Most common is the 28 spline axle. The NAPA part # for the 28 spline axle is 13700, the part # for the 31 spline axle is 14968. (The WFD axle is the 31 spline).

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Looks like either a WER or a WEZ axle.

2a8f23q.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts Catalog, Ford MC

mustang7173

All,

Page 2

2v31p1g.jpg

Source: Ford Master Parts Catalog, Ford MC

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
ah if i remember there is another problem you have to watch out for... the O.D. on the seal there was 2 different O.D sizes for the seal depending on when your axle housing was made. I think i ordered 3 different seal versions and then i pulled my old one, and one of ones i ordered was correct and i returned the other 2.

Latest posts

Back