Been A While

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallo

Reaction score
My Car
73' Grande
Hey guys,

Sorry its been a while since I logged on. Unfortunately the forum had to drop down a little ways on my list of priorities, but school and work are under control, so I'll be on regularly.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions as to the best way for me to learn about engine rebuild/modification. I was going to take a class on it, but the tuition went waaay up now that i'm out of highschool. :mad: I suppose I could take an engine apart, marking where everything goes, and then put it back together, but I still wouldn't understand what affect different strokes, pistons, cranks, etc. have on engine performance.

Welcome back. Pick up a copy of "How to rebuild your small block Ford". It's not cleavland specific but covers many of the topics you mentioned. If you have an extra engine then rebuild it following the advice in that book. The key though is to have a build plan for the engine going in. What do you want to do with it? A drag strip engine is very different from a street engine build. Read the engine pics thread that is currently underway and research what all the different components each owner decided to put in their engines - such as one person has an RV cam and another has an Isky 280...discover why.

The best way to learn engine is jump right in and build one. We will be here to give advice. Now go order that book.

Great advice! I picked up a mostly rebuilt 302 + engine stand off Craigslist for $100. I used it as a tool to teach my kids. Inexpensive way to learn before you put your main build together.

+3 what they said:)!

The absolute best way is to "read" applicable information.

Over the years, I have learned a LOT from the "Mustang Monthly" How to articles. While I subscribe to the magazine, you can actually go to their Site and read articles related to what you are currently trying to do.

If you REALLY want to get into it, you could find a garage or shop and "volunteer" to help on certain days or at certain times. You will be surprised at how frequently folks will be receptive to that approach.

Have at it:)!

BT

+1 to READ! go to your local Barnes and Noble or Borders and spend some time finding just the right book to fit your needs and learnign style. I restored my car the first time with a "How to Restore Your Mustang" book close to my side when I was 15. My first engine was built the same way, and remember, if you run into any issues, that's what the internet is for :)

I'm already a Vols fan. That's my home team where I grew up in East Tn. They're just not the primary team that I cheer for since I transplanted to Mobile a long time ago. My senior year in high school I applied to UT but my grades weren't good enough to gain admission. I joined the army, went to community college, graduated there with honors, but at that time in my life I wasn't interested in going to UT and landed in Mobile after the army since my wife was from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, alright Don... no fair editing that post and making me look like a bad guy:D Nice to know more of the "Don" clan story! Are you going to pick sides in the BCS Championship?

and apologies Valhallo for the post hijack ;)

Thanks for the advice guys. I think first i'll make a trip down to the library or Barnes&Noble, then I'll look more into some local shops.

Alright, alright Don... no fair editing that post and making me look like a bad guy:D Nice to know more of the "Don" clan story! Are you going to pick sides in the BCS Championship?

and apologies Valhallo for the post hijack ;)
Who me? :p

BCS....meh.

Hey Valhallo, on the book idea in addition to the "how to build small block fords", I have a compilation of Hot Rod articles in book form you might want to look for.

It's titled "Musclecar & Hi-Po Engines, FORD 351C & BOSS 351" Put out by Brooklands Books.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think first i'll make a trip down to the library or Barnes&Noble, then I'll look more into some local shops.
Every one has the right ideas. Read! I took shop classes in High school and collage and have been building engines since 1968. Guess what my most important tool is? A good shop manual! I always use my Ford or GM shop manuals and I still follow the instructions step by step. You do not forget things this way. You just can't hardly beat a good factory manual for your basic engine skills. Learn all the parts and what theY do and how they work together as an assembly. Then you will start to understand how to make improvements. You also have good sorces here when you get in a bind or need a question answered. Good luck!!

Good to see you back amongst the brain trust here. Remember the first motor I tore down. Was scared to death. But knew enough to ask questions when I got in a bind to the people that knew. Kinda like this bunch. Enjoy yourself and if you get in a bind, JUST POST, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR! Good luck :)

Back