Beginnings 72 Coupe Resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aw man... I know the energy you put into this baby. The excellent repair you did on the rear window filler, so sorry to see this.

When I got my 73 back from paint the first time like 25 years ago, spend the day after to put most of the accessories back and went for a ride. The cleveland freshly rebuild, I could not resist to burn bits of rubber and did some smoky circle... only I forgot the batt that I got relocated into the trunk wasn't secured yet. They was a loud bang. I let you guess what the batt attached to a long cable did from the inside to the bling bling quarter...

So yeah, don't be too mad at yourself, we all do mistakes and we usually do them when a fresh paint is applied, not before! Tho looking at the damage, you are one unlucky B.. :(

The paint job you did looks awesome.

Oh man OzCoupe72, that’s a real bummer. I kinda know how you feel. I got into an accident with my car, but I didn’t do all the really nice work like you did myself. Either way, it really does hurt. Hopefully you will be able to pull most of it out with minimal replacement. Good luck with your repairs.

aw man... I know the energy you put into this baby. The excellent repair you did on the rear window filler, so sorry to see this.

When I got my 73 back from paint the first time like 25 years ago, spend the day after to put most of the accessories back and went for a ride. The cleveland freshly rebuild, I could not resist to burn bits of rubber and did some smoky circle... only I forgot the batt that I got relocated into the trunk wasn't secured yet.  They was a loud bang. I let you guess what the batt attached to a long cable did from the inside to the bling bling quarter...

So yeah, don't be too mad at yourself, we all do mistakes and we usually do them when a fresh paint is applied, not before! Tho looking at the damage, you are one unlucky B.. :(

The paint job you did looks awesome.
Thanks Fabrice, don't know if I can forgive myself for this one, I should have known but in hindsight all the excitement at getting my freshly painted baby back home was not thinking clearly, perhaps the paint fumes?

The 4WD it hit was on axle stands and it actually pushed it off the stands, unluckily it hit the 4WD bumper reinforcement which is why so much damage to the Mustang

Anyway already planning to utilize the big palm tree out the front as an anchor to pull it out

Oh man OzCoupe72, that’s a real bummer. I kinda know how you feel. I got into an accident with my car, but I didn’t do all the really nice work like you did myself. Either way, it really does hurt. Hopefully you will be able to pull most of it out with minimal replacement. Good luck with your repairs.
Thanks John and hope your vehicle is coming along well, it is in good hands and look forward to seeing you get it back

We all learn from our mistakes and this one will teach me a few lessons

Unfortunately the trunk lid is toast but hopefully can get one from the other side of the country, don't want to wait 3-4 months again!

Fell off the horse(pony) just need to get back on it!

Yeah, the trunk lid might be the hardest, due to the double panels. I knew a really good bodyman many years ago. When everyone else was using screws and slide hammers he would drill 1/8" holes and use a homemade puller that had a wooden handle on the one end and a stiff rod with an "L" on the business end with about a 3/8" long leg on the "L". He would hook the puller in and pull on it with one hand and tap around the dent with the other. He could get dents and creases pulled out within an 1/8" of original, weld the holes shut, just need a skim of filler.

Yeah, the trunk lid might be the hardest, due to the double panels. I knew a really good bodyman many years ago. When everyone else was using screws and slide hammers he would drill 1/8" holes and use a homemade puller that had a wooden handle on the one end and a stiff rod with an "L" on the business end with about a 3/8" long leg on the "L". He would hook the puller in and pull on it with one hand and tap around the dent with the other. He could get dents and creases pulled out within an 1/8" of original, weld the holes shut, just need a skim of filler.
After having a better look yesterday I saw the skin had separated from the frame rib and was buckled

I found a good way for pulling some dents especially long ones is to weld some large washers along the dent and depending which angle either a bar or bolt through the washers or a set of hooks then use a slide hammer or puller. Works well for those who don't have a stud welder and will use this method for pulling below the tail light panel, which is worse than it looks in the photo

As they say six ways to skin a cat and no matter what way the cat is still skun!

Decided to leave the panel damage I had inflicted and not being sure I could repair it myself had lined up a panel beater to have a look at it.

While waiting for a new trunk lid and the panel beater I decided to keep going with the project so installed the headliner which wasn't as hard as I thought just a bit tedious at 5 hours to do it. Came out pretty good and although a couple of minor creases at the rear I'm happy with it.

Also removed the rear axle assembly as I wanted to modify the brackets for the emergency brake so I fabricated some new brackets then welded them on.

Anyway the trunk lid turned up surprisingly early but no reply from the panel beater so after a lot of thought I decided I should at least have a try at it seeing as I had a Porta-Power hydraulic puller and plenty of chains.

I took my time pulling a section at a time to gradually pull it out also using the hammer and dolly while it was under tension

I really didn't expect to have much success but by the end of the day was very happy with the progress

Had to shrink a few areas using both the MAP torch and the shrinking disc

Tomorrow will be more hammer and dolly work, filler and primer but first will have to check panel alignment and make adjustments

My next issue is dealing with the bent trunk hinges which could be a bit tricky

P1030154.jpg

P1030153.jpg

P1030152.jpg

Looks great OzCoupe72! Sure glad you had success pulling the damage back out. Looks like your the only panel beater you need, lol. 

Anyway, great job and hopefully your mistake will just be a memory to learn from.

Still working on the rear end damage but making some progress. Took a bit of work to bend the trunk hinge back into shape and made a clamping tool to help pull it back.

Tack welded the new trunk skin and seam sealed the edge so while I had the rest of the day I decided to get the front of the car back together.

I had removed the grille moldings and of course the tabs broke so I glued most of them back on. Painted the grille to black it out and went to put the moldings back on but some of the tabs broke again so will probably have to glue part of the molding on but if anyone has a suggestion for this and perhaps can adapt the later molding clips to work?

Anyway after lots of adjusting, bending and grunting I managed to get the front end together. Not perfect but as good as I'm going to get for a 47 year old vehicle with a mix of OEM and after market parts on it. Hopefully next weekend I get the rear end at least ready for color.

P1030157.jpg

Look at that baby! Beautiful!

btw why not open the scoops? I mean, you could use all the "cold" air you can where you live no?
Thanks Fabrice, hopefully will have the scars on the back done soon, then interior and finally registration!

As for the scoop inserts I actually did wonder why they were closed, no doubt without a ram air system there is the chance for water and bugs to enter the engine bay.

Our XB Falcon has perhaps the same scoop except it has an open grille and they don't have ram air or a shaker example here - 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-Fairmont-XB-XC-GS-GT-XC-Cobra-Pair-Bonnet-Scoops-Vents/202579863306?hash=item2f2ab3670a:g:kdQAAOSwlLlcKK-Q:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Maybe I'll just drill them out rather than spend money on XB ones especially if they don't fit!

[there is the chance for water and bugs to enter the engine bay.]

Are the bugs kangaroo sized over there? :)

I mean, you get both bugs and water from the front anyway. You have an air filter for that.

And if it's really pouring, just keep it bellow 140 !

I would not drill, as to cut in between the lozenge shape will take lots of time and likely will be visible on this kind of plastic. I'd just remove them.

With your craftsmanship, I'd cut/shape a plate of aluminium to replicate the fitting in the inside and add a nice thin stainless steel wire mesh instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
An update on progress

Had a long weekend so got ready for spray painting my rear damage and had a small window of opportunity when the wind was low yesterday so got up early and prepped everything including masking.

The wind finally dropped enough so I blasted some color on and did my best to blend it into the roof line using a blending solvent

Will still have to color sand and buff it all so hopefully comes out okay

Only problem I noticed that in my rush to get some paint on I missed some sanding marks in one area on the quarter panel which barely show up in the paint but still noticeable so will see how it comes out after buffing. Frankly right now I've had enough of body work so will live with it until it gets the better of me.

Started assembling the rear area and starting to look like a vehicle now but waiting on some tail lamp seals to install them

P1030160.jpg

P1030162.jpg

Getting closer to finishing my project however there is always something that comes along to slow things down.

Installed new seat belts and due to our regulations I had to install rear retractable seat belts on the outers. Cost a fair bit extra also to have the much closer to original chrome buckles all up $1150 AUD - OUCH!

And of course these belts now interfered with the 6 x 9 speakers I had installed earlier. Ended up having to trim the seat belt covers and mounted the speakers underneath the parcel shelf. Tight squeeze and not the best look but no other option.

P1030170.jpg

Next was to install new carpet and underlay which went well enough however when I went to install the console around the auto shifter there was a distinct misalignment with the modified for RHD shifter and console/shift indicator. As much as I don't mind the factory type shifter it was going to be a major job to modify everything so I decided an aftermarket shifter was on the menu.

Being RHD not many options except the RHD B&M Megashifter.

Installation was not too difficult, just had to make a plate to suit the floor which allowed me to use the original mounting points.

Notched a slot for the cable to go through, made a harness for the NSS switch, cut the B&M console down a little

Tricky job was cutting the C4 shift lever back as due to the headers there was no room for a grinder but luckily was able to just get the Dremel in there.

Took most of the day to install but pretty happy with it and will compliment my other performance mods. Pics below

P1030164.jpg

P1030165.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030170.jpg

P1030166.jpg

Theres always a solution and it looks like you are going through left to right hand drive and resolving all the issues without too much bother. Great to see your progress

Latest posts

Back