Beginnings 72 Coupe Resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a bit ahead of myself after a short drive last weekend

Booked a day off work next Wednesday, both engineer and swept volume test booked once again

Then decided I would get a permit and give it a decent test drive yesterday to make sure all is okay

Once down the road I realized it was only getting 2 gears but with the new high stall converter and big torque engine wasn't easy to tell if in 2nd or 3rd so manually shifted to 2nd and nothing - no drive WTF!

As I was on my way to my trans builder who put it together this time I let him drive it and he concluded it is probably a sticky 1-2 valve in the valve body

They are going to put together another valve body/shift kit but unable to do the job for a week or so

Now I'm going to have to postpone once again getting this thing on the road but luckily not too serious of a problem

Kind of getting used to disappointment by now, doesn't make it any easier but

Decided to do some odd jobs on the vehicle and one thing that has annoyed me was the sill plate screws not holding despite putting larger screws in

Seeing as I purchased a rivet nut kit a while ago I bought some countersunk screws and inserted rivet nuts

Worked well and no more loose screws

P1030199.jpg

Finally I have the Red Peril street legal! :D

Been a few months sorting out my engine debacle and getting it ready for all the engineering inspections etc etc

Got my engineering approval a couple of weeks ago but still had to go through roadworthy inspections

Had a few issues to sort out and finally today I picked up my license plates and went for a first "legal" run

The sad part is like many with this "affliction" I have poured in countless dollars and sent myself broke in the process but frankly I don't care one bit although the missus is none too happy I reckon

Anyway a few rough pics below and still a few bugs and rattles to sort out

If I can find enough coins at the back of the sofa for fuel money I will go for a cruise this weekend to finish breaking in the engine

P1030206.jpg

P1030209.jpg

P1030211.jpg

Woohoo! It's been quite a journey!

Congratulations! Red Peril looks gorgeous!

Love the plate! Over here, few years back I've asked by the dutch RDW: it wasn't possible. The Dutch computer systems were not as smart as computers in England or Belgium at the time. But 1 or 2 years ago, I recall gov talked about allowing this, kuz in Belgium for instance, they saw this delivers extra millions in taxes, as they ask $1100 for it.

Extra income working as magic on politicians brains and computer systems. I'll contact RDW soon again to see if possible these days...

Enjoy!

Thanks guys, it's been a long journey but for some 3 years isn't long

Fabrice - our government loves finding new ways to milk the public, my plates only cost $600!

One thing I need to save up for is new wheels and tires

I don't really like the rims and the tires although plenty of tread they are 11 years old which is not safe

Reckon before I get new ones I will wear them down on the rear fairly quick then put the front ones on the back and have more fun

Wow, that's great to hear and see you finished your odyssey despite your hassle with the engine and some other gremlins  :bravo:

Love the idea of the rivets in the rockers for the sill plates! 

3 years - that's only a stone throw and was worth it  ;) 

Enjoy your beautiful baby  ::thumb::

After fitting new 4 1/2 leaf springs which pretty much solved most of the axle hop and lowering the front with new springs it was time to get rid of the dinky toy 17 inch rims

Decided to go with what always works - Magnum 500 alloy rims 15 x 8 rear 15 x 7 front with Mastercraft Avenger 255/60/R15 & 235/60/R15 tyres

Will work on getting the stance a bit better as it sits a little too low in the front so have some spring insulator spacers coming that will bring it up 1/2 inch

Hopefully the rear leafs will settle a bit but if not will get some 1 inch lowering blocks

Vehicle not only looks a whole lot better it is much better behaved on the road and no more shakes above 80 MPH

https://ibb.co/9nY3P9V
P1030228.jpg
[/URL]
P1030226.jpg

After fitting new 4 1/2 leaf springs which pretty much solved most of the axle hop and lowering the front with new springs it was time to get rid of the dinky toy 17 inch rims

Decided to go with what always works - Magnum 500 alloy rims 15 x 8 rear 15 x 7 front with Mastercraft Avenger 255/60/R15 & 235/60/R15 tyres

Will work on getting the stance a bit better as it sits a little too low in the front so have some spring insulator spacers coming that will bring it up 1/2 inch

Hopefully the rear leafs will settle a bit but if not will get some 1 inch lowering blocks

Vehicle not only looks a whole lot better it is much better behaved on the road and no more shakes above 80 MPH

https://ibb.co/9nY3P9V
P1030228.jpg
[/URL]
P1030226.jpg
'

It's beautiful!

Latest posts

Back