Fuel pumps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
A question for guys with modified Clevelands. What fuel pump are you using? and will a stock replacement feed a healthy stroker?
When I first got the car after sitting for over 10 years I replaced the complete fuel system. The first replacement fuel pump I bought failed in a couple days. The replacement lasted but then as you can guess I pulled the motor for rebuild. You can guess what happened next. The snowball affect took place as it always does and now it’s a .040 over stroker with Edlebrock heads and a .600 lift custom hydraulic cam.
Anyway when I was looking for a fuel pump back when first got it running I did not see any aftermarket fuel pumps available for the Clevelands.
Hopefully getting the motor back soon and wondering 💭 if a stock replacement will keep up.
If anyone has any experience with this and can pass along some information it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Most of the good aftermarket Cleveland pumps are gone. There's the chrome RPC pump that's sold by everyone under a dozen different names. I bought one as it was $35, but have yet to install it and probably won't. Then there's the Robb Mc pump which many Cleveland guys swear by.

https://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/ford550.html
The good aftermarket Holley and Mallory pumps are gone. If you can find a used one, they can be rebuilt if you get the bolt together style.

That said, I'm currently running a Carter M6882 stock replacement which was $15 or so from Rock Auto. Hasn't run out of fuel yet spinning up to 6k, so I'm just going to keep running it. FWIW, they're so cheap, I keep a spare on the shelf.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...l+351cid+v8,1132692,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

A question for guys with modified Clevelands. What fuel pump are you using? and will a stock replacement feed a healthy stroker?
When I first got the car after sitting for over 10 years I replaced the complete fuel system. The first replacement fuel pump I bought failed in a couple days. The replacement lasted but then as you can guess I pulled the motor for rebuild. You can guess what happened next. The snowball affect took place as it always does and now it’s a .040 over stroker with Edlebrock heads and a .600 lift custom hydraulic cam.
Anyway when I was looking for a fuel pump back when first got it running I did not see any aftermarket fuel pumps available for the Clevelands.
Hopefully getting the motor back soon and wondering 💭 if a stock replacement will keep up.
If anyone has any experience with this and can pass along some information it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Have you considered an electric pump?

Wanting to avoid that and a regulator.
Hmm, not sure why you’re putting it off. From what I read in your post you’re going to be modifying your Cleveland again sooner or later so you might as well put in the electric pump now.

Hmm, not sure why you’re putting it off. From what I read in your post you’re going to be modifying your Cleveland again sooner or later so you might as well put in the electric pump now.
I disagree. I have the Carter M6882 on my cleveland. it was a whopping $12.80 a month or two ago. You can't even eat at McDonalds for less that that anymore.

Mechanical fuel pumps worked fine for decades. They were used on millions of daily drivers and on race cars. For the low price and the simplicity, stick with a mechanical pump until you actually have a reason for an electric one.

Electric pump means adding several more parts. Pre filter, post filter, pump, return line, wiring, switch, relay, inertia switch. Aside from the cost and labor, that is a fair amount of complexity you are adding. If any of those added parts fail, your car doesn't run.

I disagree. I have the Carter M6882 on my cleveland. it was a whopping $12.80 a month or two ago. You can't even eat at McDonalds for less that that anymore.

Mechanical fuel pumps worked fine for decades. They were used on millions of daily drivers and on race cars. For the low price and the simplicity, stick with a mechanical pump until you actually have a reason for an electric one.

Electric pump means adding several more parts. Pre filter, post filter, pump, return line, wiring, switch, relay, inertia switch. Aside from the cost and labor, that is a fair amount of complexity you are adding. If any of those added parts fail, your car doesn't run.
Thanks for the info. Rockauto sells the Carter M6882 at the moment at $ 12.70/ea. Just ordered a spare one.

I think you missed the sarcasm

Back