Borgeson steeringbox delphi 600

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the 12to1 ratio the one to have for a real upgrade?

I just put one on my 73 this winter. It fit real well , I did a major power train rebuild so I have only put 10 miles on since replacement. It feels

good and it helps with my new steering wheel since its smaller than stock hopefully in the next 10 days I get some miles under my belt. Also I am using a stock ford pump with underdrive pulleys.[/b]

They don't have much info on their website. I emailed them to see how many inch pounds of effort it takes on the input for assist. The input effort really changes the feel, I bet that since the box is modern it probably has a much larger torsion bar inside (and therefore more torque is required on the wheel) 14:1 isn't bad, but you can have your existing box changed to 12.7:1 or do it yourself with junkyard parts for about $100.

If I hear back from them I will post what they say.

I would really love to build my own, I just dont know how to do it, I would really like the quickest ratio possible. The problem is that I live in Denmark and no one builds that kind of stuff here. So I will either need to have one build in the USA or order a complete one. I afsked reedhead steering and they wanted around 600$ for a steering box with a 15:1 gear ratio, they said that it was the quickest they could make it.

But I guy here in Denmark have bought some steering boxes with a quicker ratio that he is Selling, it's 3 turs lock to lock, can anyone tell what the gear ratio are when it's 3 turns lock to lock? :)

Nice to see another solution to the steering box. But, you have to spend another $78.00 for the coupler. Total $507

I went with this solution - http://www.powersteering.com/

QUICK RATIO GEARBOX CONVERSIONS:

12.7:1 Fast Ratio: $369.00!

Standard Detailing: Included at no charge (priming & painting)

Extreme Detailing: $49.00 (takes the unit down totally to bare metal. Self etching primer is applied then the unit is sprayed with “cast” paint.)

Custom colors: May be available at an additional charge. Please call 1-417-739-9010.

mustang7173

I would really love to build my own, I just dont know how to do it, I would really like the quickest ratio possible. The problem is that I live in Denmark and no one builds that kind of stuff here. So I will either need to have one build in the USA or order a complete one. I afsked reedhead steering and they wanted around 600$ for a steering box with a 15:1 gear ratio, they said that it was the quickest they could make it.

But I guy here in Denmark have bought some steering boxes with a quicker ratio that he is Selling, it's 3 turs lock to lock, can anyone tell what the gear ratio are when it's 3 turns lock to lock? :)
The amount of turns lock to lock on a steering box does not translate into anything useful unless you know the application it came out of. Saginaw made the castings and internal parts identical amongst each family of steering box. The way that they limited the Pitman arm arc of travel was by putting spacer rings in the end of the piston bore, and a taller aluminum cap on the other end. So even though all of the GM / Jeep 800 series boxes look identical on the outside they all travel a different amount of degrees to suit the application they were built for. So you could end up with a box out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is 12.7 and has the smallest spacers possible, it is 3 turns lock to lock. Then you could get a box out of a 1980's V6 Chevy Camero that is 14:1 but has the travel limited about a half inch by spacers, and it will also be 3 turns lock to lock. They also look identical on the outside.

Really you need to know what they came out of, and double check by one of two methods. If you want to swap quick ratio guts into your ford Saginaw 800 casting you need to make sure you are buying a GM or Jeep Saginaw 800 box with the desirable guts.

1)Put a degree wheel on the sector shaft and see how many degrees it turns per turn of the input. If it is a 12.7:1 box it would be 360/12.7= 28.35 degrees per turn. If it is a 14:1 box it would be 360/14=25.71 degrees. Since they are so close you do need to be accurate and come up with a good degree wheel setup.

2) Take it apart a bit. First remove the pitman arm (buy a good puller), then center the box left to right and remove the 4 bolts on the sector shaft cap, and lightly tap the sector shaft out of the box. Once it is out you can see the inside of the box. Next turn the input to the left or right (I forget), you want the piston to travel tward the cap until it stops (you may have to hold the piston/nut with your fingers to keep it from spinning in the bore), this will expose the ball screw. If it is a 12.7:1 box the ball screw will have two lines visible on the threads right before it disappears into the piston (which is the nut). You may need a flashlight. Only the 12.7:1 ball screw will have these two lines.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bentworker:

Thanks for all the information about the steering boxes and how to check the gear ratios. That's a lot of very good and usefull information. I have been following your tread with how you changed everything inside to a quick ratio one, very exciting! I will deffently try with a degree wheel to determine what the gear ratio are in my new box, thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back