Boss 351 PCV Hoses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Now that I have the engine running I want to try and keep the engine bay clean looking and get on with the project.

What is the best way to route PCV hoses with the Boss 351 Valve covers and center rear PCV port on the Holley carb?  Is there a set of pre-made hoses that will get me there or do I need to fab my own?  Speaking of fabbing my own.  Does anyone know how to add a bend or elbow to your rubber hoses?  Can you use a heat gun and get a bend in the hose to make a 90 degree turn?

Also,  what is the correct valve cover cap for the passengers side valve cover?  The Scott Drake one I bought hits the bottom of the shock tower brace.

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

kcmash

Now that I have the engine running I want to try and keep the engine bay clean looking and get on with the project.

What is the best way to route PCV hoses with the Boss 351 Valve covers and center rear PCV port on the Holley carb?  Is there a set of pre-made hoses that will get me there or do I need to fab my own?  Speaking of fabbing my own.  Does anyone know how to add a bend or elbow to your rubber hoses?  Can you use a heat gun and get a bend in the hose to make a 90 degree turn?

Also,  what is the correct valve cover cap for the passengers side valve cover?  The Scott Drake one I bought hits the bottom of the shock tower brace.

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

kcmash
Look through all the pictures. http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1609-boss-351-engine-detailing/

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful!   Now to search for the B351 PCV hoses!  

CJ Ponyparts does not have them from what I saw.

kcmash

Anyone know where to find correct Boss 351 PCV hoses?  That is just what I need, and reproduction is fine!

kcmash

Kcmash,

The DOAZ-6A664-C reproduction hose that everyone lists as a 70-74 351C hose is not correct for 71-73 applications. The 70 351C used  hose (DOAZ-6A664-C) that is approx. 15 1/4" long. The 71/ hose (D1OZ-6A664-B) is approx. 23 1/2" long. The repo listings only seem to say "cut to fit" but they are approximately 15" long and definitely don't need to be cut for the 71/ applications! Don't see used or NOS hoses for sale very often, but I have seen prices from $20.00-$120.00. So just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. The 71-72 429 Police Interceptor, 71 429 CJ/SCJ Mustang and Torinos utilized the same hose so at least there are other fitment possibilities.   You could insert a section of tube the same size as the stub on the rear of your carburetor and extend the shorter DOAZ-C  to the length that it is needed. That's something I've seen on new model factory hoses and works fine.

As in the illustrations provided by Chuck the loop attached to the valve cover bolt will keep the hose in place.

The correct oil fill caps for both valve covers are the low profile black (Motorcraft EC-8-A) and optional chrome (Motorcraft EC-508), so you should not have any interference with with the shock tower to firewall brace.     :)

Ford# D1AZ-6766-A  Motorcraft# EC-8-A

Ford# D1ZZ-6766-A  Motorcraft# EC-508

OK, great information, I just need a little more help.

One funny thing is after looking at the pictures I remembered I had had seen that hose retainer that bolts to the intake in a pile of parts and never knew what it was.  So I actually have 2 of them in very good shape.

I have the correct short hose for the right side valve cover but I do need to acquire another Motorcraft EC-8-A.

For the left side hose I am still looking.  I do have a long Autolite hose that goes from the right side port on a Holley 600 to the left valve cover PCV valve.  It has 90 degree bends at each end of the hose to use a straight PCV valve.  I am on the quest for the hose that exits rear center of the carburetor and goes to the left valve cover.  

QUESTIONS:  

1)  Can you shape the PCV hoses?  In other words, can I put a short 90 degree in it with a heat gun?

2)  Will the 15 inch reproduction even reach?  Am I better off buying generic hose from O'Reilly and cutting to fit then shaping with heat (If Possible)  Surely I am not the only one trying to be semi-original.

Thanks!

kcmash

I'll be using the same setup - B302/B351 covers with a Holley. My plan was the repop D0AZ hose and scavenge a section from a vehicle at the boneyard with an appropriate 90* fitting that fits the Holley and join with a piece of steel line. If that doesn't work, Dorman offers many replacement PCV fittings for reasonable prices. A good example below.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-46027-PCV-Elbow-Ford/dp/B004TTSTZ6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EK46TGNW1JBW2RRXQ5A8

Back