Brake Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
Searched this forum for info on the installation of a brake light switch.

There was info posted but it has been deleted.

I can rotate the switch about 30 degrees up and down and I don't

think it is supposed to do that.

mike

it does pivot a bit because the angle changes as you press on the pedal.

if your brake lights function correctly leave the switch alone.

it does pivot a bit because the angle changes as you press on the pedal.

if your brake lights function correctly leave the switch alone.
It does not function correctly. The lights are intermittent.

The picture in my Ford shop manual is sketchy at best.

Don't suppose taking a picture of the switch would do me

any good. It is pretty much a braille operation. I suppose

I could drop the steering column. Have a new switch.

Could take the car to a local Mustang dealer and have them

charge me $150 to replace a $10 switch.

mike

there is a small red cotter pin that holds the brake switch on the pivot, pull the pin and slowly slide the brake switch towards the transmission tunnel there are 2 small plastic bushings. don't lose them.

when the switch is about half why out (if i remember) you pull down and it should come out. at that point you should have better access to the electrical connector which is usually a PITA to pop out.

then the second plastic bushing will most likely fall out on you hahaha ,

it should take you a few minutes but if i remember you put one plastic bushing on the pivot on the brake pedal assembly. then put the other on the switch itself one side of the switch has a U cut into the body. so you slip that up on the pivot then push the switch to the drivers side door, make sure the outter bushing doesn't fall off on you when the switch is seated install the clotter pin back through the hole on the pivot for the switch that will hold the new brake switch on... check brake pedal operation that nothing is binding then Plug the connector back in and test the brake lights. the lights should work without the key in the ignition and the car off, the brake lights bypass everything for safety so if the car was parked on the side of the road engine dead the brake lights will shine as long as the battery holds out, like the 4way flashers.

I did it a few years ago.. it is tight in the footwell but you can do it.. droping the steering column will not help you everything is jammed on the side of the fuse box and brake pedal assembly.

took me an hour to replace mine just work slow.

I just did it as part of replacing the master cylinder. The hardest part about the job binding your arms and head under neath the dash. I went in through the passenger side and layed flat across the center and wiggled underneath the steering wheel with the drivers seat slid as far back as possible. Yes you take out the cotter pin and the plastic bushings. My electrical connector just slid off just wiggle and pull back towards rear of the car and it should pop off. Next you have to slide one end off the shaft as the hole is enclosed and the other side is a half moon. Once you get the enclosed side off the shaft you pull down and the the switch is in your hands along with the other bushing that just rolled halfway down the floorboard while your all twisted up like a pretzel and can't reach it. But once you get the old switch out then reasembly will be easier as you have a much better idea of the job ahead. Good luck and its really simple but you know what they say about it's the simplist things that are the hardest.

there is a small red cotter pin that holds the brake switch on the pivot, pull the pin and slowly slide the brake switch towards the transmission tunnel there are 2 small plastic bushings. don't lose them.

when the switch is about half why out (if i remember) you pull down and it should come out. at that point you should have better access to the electrical connector which is usually a PITA to pop out.

then the second plastic bushing will most likely fall out on you hahaha ,

it should take you a few minutes but if i remember you put one plastic bushing on the pivot on the brake pedal assembly. then put the other on the switch itself one side of the switch has a U cut into the body. so you slip that up on the pivot then push the switch to the drivers side door, make sure the outter bushing doesn't fall off on you when the switch is seated install the clotter pin back through the hole on the pivot for the switch that will hold the new brake switch on... check brake pedal operation that nothing is binding then Plug the connector back in and test the brake lights. the lights should work without the key in the ignition and the car off, the brake lights bypass everything for safety so if the car was parked on the side of the road engine dead the brake lights will shine as long as the battery holds out, like the 4way flashers.

I did it a few years ago.. it is tight in the footwell but you can do it.. droping the steering column will not help you everything is jammed on the side of the fuse box and brake pedal assembly.

took me an hour to replace mine just work slow.
Got It. What you are describing is what the shop manual shows.

Excellent advice; +2

mike

oh

Best thing i will tell you....

Remove the driver's seat!!!! that was what i forgot!!!

seriously pop the 3 bolts and one nut, remove the driver's seat and a whole new underdash world will open up to you!

also gives you a chance to find lost stuff underneath it :)

oh

Best thing i will tell you....

Remove the driver's seat!!!! that was what i forgot!!!

seriously pop the 3 bolts and one nut, remove the driver's seat and a whole new underdash world will open up to you!

also gives you a chance to find lost stuff underneath it :)
That! It will allow you to lay on your back and look up under the dash. That will do two things:

First, you see what you are doing and

Second, those bushings will fall on your face before you lose them. :)

don't forget the dash insulation that starts to snow on your face as your fighting with anything under the dash. HAHAHA. you spend like 30 minutes in the hot shower feeling like a rape victim wondering if you now have lung cancer from breathing the fibers.

Remove the driver's seat!!!!
Ditto on removing the seat. For 71 - 73 it's easy.

Also - make sure you have the right switch. There is a difference between Manual drum and Pwr disk switches as I once learned about the hard way.

Latest posts

Back