Buck Tag Decoding and Info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's your Buck Tag located?

• 71 Drivers Side

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 71 Passenger's Side

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 72 Drivers Side

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 72 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 73 Drivers Side

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • 73 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
Hi guys,

Appreciate some help with this...

Line 1 VIN, 76D (Convertible), 06D (HELP), 010 (HELP)

Line 2 6F (Gold Glow), AC (Air Conditoning), PB (Power Brakes), CA (Black Knit Vinyl)

Line 3 AM (AM/FM Radio), CS (HELP, maybe Competition Suspension or Collapsible Spare), EC (HELP, maybe Emission Control), CHR (HELP, maybe chrome wheels/magnums or Chrome Exterior mirror)

Line 4 BO (HELP, maybe body side tape stripe or Black Out), DE (HELP, Dual Exhaust, maybe Decor option)

16arwqg.jpg
06D is scheduled build date (April 6), 010 is rotation/sequence number,

3AM=the 3 is a mystery but AM actually meant AM/FM radio. CS=Collapsible spare tire, EC=Emissions control, CHR=Left hand chrome remote mirror

BO= Lower body paint treatment, DE=Dual exhaust. The rest is as you wrote down. Chuck

I've looked at some buck tags on some 60's mustangs. They used RM for remote mirror. It seams to me that CRM would decode to chrome remote mirror, since it was a stand alone option that needed special buck work.

I've looked at some buck tags on some 60's mustangs. They used RM for remote mirror. It seams to me that CRM would decode to chrome remote mirror, since it was a stand alone option that needed special buck work.
I would respectfully disagree.

Reference : 1971 Mustang Facts Book rev 1-72 in our WIKI

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-facts-book-rev-1-72

Standard equipment for the 1971 Mustang:

Exterior Mirrors:

LH Chrome (NON-REMOTE)

Outside dual racing, LH remote (BOSS and MACH 1 only)

no chrome left hand remote mirror ever offered for 1971-2 Mustangs! Not so sure about 73's... I'll try and look. :)

So by utilizing process of elimination for the two mirror types installed...

CHR = LH Chrome mirror

Both my conv and Jeff's are very original late production Q code 1972 convertibles and both have a single exterior chrome driver's side door mounted mirror.

Sorry for the soap box... :-/

As always I am trying to continue learning and am very open to different findings.

Ray

OK. I should have looked again at Jeff's code. I ran across the RM code and thought I was on to something. But, I had the same feeling about the left remote chrome mirror as you, until Tuesday. I think I saw in the build book that one was available, like the one we had on our 72 LTD. I'll verify.

Here is a couple of captures from that 1972 Ford Facts book.

Note these highlighted standard production items were also standard equipment for the hardtops (01) and the sportsroofs (02) - so not specific only to convertibles (03).

Obviously some of the standard items are not available if optional equipment and/or 'groups' were so ordered.

1972 Mustang Conv C-9 rev 1_72.JPG

chrome mirror zoom.JPG

Ray

i am needing help with knowing what all the numbers and letters mean on my data tag, this was a tag i found under the hood. the door had been replaced so no tag there. I know the "PB" is power brake and the "AC" is air con. "A" i assume is automatic. Not sure on the 5T or B TRAC or the 0569 at the end of the top line. Any help would be great! thanks

data tag.jpg

Wow - where did you find that information? I pored over the Fact Book, VIN decoder, and a few other online things and couldn't find squat!

Oh yeah, almost forgot: :udaman:

1973 Mach 1 351 -2V 254370 consecutive unit number (late 1973 car)

63R Mach 1 body type

0569 - production rotation number

5T Saddle Bronze Metallic

AC Air Conditioner

PB Power front disc brakes

A = white interior ???

BTRAC - dual (color-keyed) racing mirrors = both racing mirrors

Ray

Wow - where did you find that information? I pored over the Fact Book, VIN decoder, and a few other online things and couldn't find squat!

I tried to tell ya - Jeff8877 is the research bloodhound. He is continually beating me to the punch/answers! But I am happy to see that. He knows his stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah - I almost forgot too ---- Jeff8877 :udaman:

Ray

Good job guys. Spot on. There was a buck tag from a couple if years ago that had one piece of information that I couldn't decode...i should bring that one back so you two can crack it.

BTW, A = black standard interior.

BTRAC = Basic Trim Rings And Caps which includes dual color keyed racing mirrors. Note that the BTRAC are standard with the mirrors and could have been optioned up to another type of wheel or a hubcap upgrade.

I found this site for buck tag decoding. I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.ponysite.de/fmcog/to_alt/bbtd.htm

Back