Buck Tag Decoding and Info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's your Buck Tag located?

• 71 Drivers Side

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 71 Passenger's Side

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 72 Drivers Side

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 72 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 73 Drivers Side

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • 73 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
This is always a tricky endeavor but I'll give it a whirl. Standard disclaimer on accuracy of the information provided. 3=1973, F=Dearborn, Q= 351C 4V, 05=2 door sportsroof (Mach), 63R=Mach 1, 0022=rotation number?, 2B=bright red exterior, AC=air conditioning, PB=power brakes, ADX=(should be interior color)?, white=?, AM=AM radio(could be changed at final assembly), CS=full length console, PW=power windows, EC=? BTRAC=black trim and accent, RS=rear seat, FDS=fold down seat, DE=deluxe interior. Let me know how much of the above seems to be correct as this is an ongoing learning process for me. bkdunha may have more accurate and complete decoding for you. Chuck
Good job Chuck! Just missed a couple of them.

The buck tag was used for all items that required any holes or weld add ons to the body prior to paint. So things like mirrors, dual exhaust, spoiler, all needed holes before paint.

Here are the remaining codes.

ADX = white deluxe interior.

WHITE = white vinyl roof.

CS = collapsible spare tire.

EC = emission control.

BTRAC = Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes sport racing mirrors).

RS = rear deck spoiler.

DE = dual exhaust.
Don do you have a complete list that we could post somewhere??????????

thanks all....great decoding!!...kinda odd.says black interior...even know it was white on the matri report..and the seats were white..some one painted them with vinyl paint..but you can still see the white...lol...btw decode a seat tag? hehe..i noticed when the back of mine off..it had this tag back there...but didnt get a good pic of it..came out bad..here it is anyways.lol

Took the words right out of my mouth (sorry Meatloaf)

I was just about to ask what code a six cylinder Mustang

was

now I know

L code but not sure about the 88 hp bit

we had the same motor here in OZ from1970 to 1975

and from memory they were 140 horses

anyway mine can still light up the rear tyres after forty years

so unless you guys used a different system than us

something is very wrong

did you use flywheel hp or rear wheel hp?

thanks John

Never let a dog hold a sandwich for you

Here's my build tag. Found it on the Drivers side, behind the headlight bucket screwed to the radiator support like some others have mentioned. It's a 1973 Convertible, 351C-2v, C6, A/C, P/S, P/disc, Medium Yellow with White interior and black accent. am/fm radio, power top, Deluxe interior. No console, though I'm adding one.

Anyone good at decoding these?

1973 Convert Build tag-s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the following thread got me and Ray thinking:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-where-did-this-used-to-go?highlight=buck+tag

All the cars I have seen around me that had the buck tag intact were on the passenger side core support. So post your placement and the build date and plant so we can decipher if there was a pattern for when placement changed or if it was random or if one guy wsa left handed and the other guy was right handed putting on the tags! :D

Passenger Side

Driver Side

My buck tag is also missing. Car is an early Mach 1 from mid September 1970. It would be great if someone with an early 71 could post a pic of his buck tag with some surrounding. Thanks.

Michael

My buck tag is also missing. Car is an early Mach 1 from mid September 1970. It would be great if someone with an early 71 could post a pic of his buck tag with some surrounding. Thanks.

Michael
71 Mach1, manufactured Dec 70, what's left of the buck tag (at least it's some type of metal tag) is on the passenger side

Jim

bucktag.jpg

73 Mustang Convertible, Drivers side, Build date Apr 73.

DSCF4361-1.jpg

DSCF4565.jpg

passenger side core support, 71 Mach 1, build date 2/24/71

Back