Bumper Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
I've been noticing that the Urethane bumper on my '73 extends out a bit too much. It doesn't quite fit in with the indentations in the front fenders.

Is there a way to loosen the support and push the bumper back in a bit?

I was looking in the engine compartment, and didn't see much in the realm of adjusting areas.

Thanks

Joe

There is one or two bolts(cant remember) that holds the main brackets to the frame that you might loosen and get some play out of. You can see them in the front wheel well right in front of the tire.

Here is an old photo of my 73 convertible before the restoration. There is a bolt just to the right of the brake hose that is one of the bumper bolts; not sure if it adjustable.

IMG_0218.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for the picture. Doesn't look like there's too much room for adjustment there. I'm wondering how my bumper got so far out. It may be out of adjustment on the 'bumper' part rather than where it attaches to the frame. I'll have a look. It's not bad, just part of my OCD when it comes to my current car project.

Here is an old photo of my 73 convertible before the restoration. There is a bolt just to the right of the brake hose that is one of the bumper bolts; not sure if it adjustable.

IMG_0218.jpg

There should be plenty of adjustment on the bumper arms & the bumper support..

The adjustment ISN'T made on the frame..Some times to get a perfect fit you have to elongate the holes on the bumper arms & support to give you more travel room for adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:

The adjustment ISN'T made on the frame..Some times to get a perfect fit you have to elongate the holes on the bumper arms & support to give you more travel room for adjustment.
Was just saying MAYBE a litle play there

Was just saying MAYBE a litle play there
Roy IS correct.

In 73 the adjustment is on the frame as the arms bolt to the back of the support.

The 73 arms have collapsible rubber inserts. If the rubber deteriorates the slider can get moved.

If the bumper was hit at some point, someone may have pulled it out to far trying to fix it.

On 71 & 72 the in / out adjustment is on the frame and inner support.

Frame brackets have slotted holes for the adjustment.

I guess I'll look into loosening that bolt and see if I can push the bumper in. It's only like 1/2" I need it to go in.

There is 2 bolts on each bracket.

Doubt there is a 1/2 inch of adjustment.

That seems like a lot, that much would also affect the bumper to grille area / gap. Check that so you don't damage your grille.

Also

1- look on the back of the bumper to the brackets, did someone shim it out at one point?

2- is it the bumper ? the end / ears on the 73 bumpers tend to warp out

Again, it most likely is my paranoia/OCD that is getting the best of me on this one.

I will look at the back of the bumper to the brackets and look for shims.

I've attached a couple of pics to highlight what I'm saying....it may be the 'ears' that have warped a bit, but it still looks too far out to me. There is a lot of black you can see when you look down on the bumper from above.

bumper.JPG

bumper2.JPG

Here are some "before" pictures I took back in 2008 of my 73 Convertible that may help you out. This is the original paint on the body and bumper never off the vehicle when this pic was taken and never any front end damage (bumper was repainted once back in the early 80's due to paint cracking).

DSCF4279.jpg

DSCF4280.jpg

DSCF4289.jpg

DSCF4290.jpg

I don't have many closeup pics of the front bumper after the repaint, but here are a few:

DSCF8175.jpg

DSCF8165.jpg

DSCF8164.jpg

DSCF9326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Once again, I'm in your debt. Thanks for those very informative pictures. It would seem that mine is not off as much as I thought.

Your car is really beautiful. I wish my hood alignment and grille looked as good as yours!

Joe

Mike,

Once again, I'm in your debt. Thanks for those very informative pictures. It would seem that mine is not off as much as I thought.

Your car is really beautiful. I wish my hood alignment and grille looked as good as yours!

Joe
Thanks, I'm glad some of the detailed pictures I took before the restoration to help me out in the reassembly are also helping others too.

That is the original grill. I spent a lot of time detailing it one honeycomb at a time while it was off the car.

I'm extremely please with the body work and paint done by Precision Auto Body in Manassas. The should be convenient to you too if your thinking about having any work done.

You can check this thread if you want to read and see more about my 73 Convert:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-august-2011-cotm-2nd-owner-73-wimbledon-white-mustang-convertible?highlight=wimbledon+white

Also,

It's good to hear about Precision Autobody in Manassas. Were they very pricy?

How did you remove the trim (body pieces) around the headlights and tail lights (the corner pieces)? The area around my headlights is a tad loose, and I was trying to figure out how to tighten it.

Mike,

Joe
Thanks, I'm glad some of the detailed pictures I took before the restoration to help me out in the reassembly are also helping others too.

That is the original grill. I spent a lot of time detailing it one honeycomb at a time while it was off the car.

I'm extremely please with the body work and paint done by Precision Auto Body in Manassas. The should be convenient to you too if your thinking about having any work done.

You can check this thread if you want to read and see more about my 73 Convert:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-august-2011-cotm-2nd-owner-73-wimbledon-white-mustang-convertible?highlight=wimbledon+white

Latest posts

Back