C4 Shifter Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi Everyone, after installing my engine I can move the shifter from park all the way to second but not to first. I unsuccessfully tried to adjust it underneath the car. Even tried with a helper. C4 has been professionally rebuilt about 3 years ago. Seeking advice please!

When the shifter is in park is the transmission actually in park?

When you say it just goes from park to second do you mean the transmission or the shifter?

Was the shifter originally connected to a C4?

Is the shift lever on the transmission originally from your car?

Hi Don C,

I haven't checked if the C4 is actually in park when the shifter is in park.

I meant the shifter moves from park to 2nd.

Yes, this is the original C4, shifter, linkage and steering column lock rod to the car. 

I'll undo the nut on the linkage and push it back and forth to find out what's up, I will let you know, thanks!

From memory, the proper procedure is to put the shifter in neutral. Loosen the nut and make sure the trans is in neutral (rotate trans bellcrank all the way clockwise is park, back CCW two clicks for neutral), tighten nut and verify function. Adjust your NSS while you're there.

Hemikiller, thanks soo much. It's all good now and I am surprised with how tight my shifter is. I have to push a little harder to get it into park and then it clicks into position, no wobble no wiggle LOL!

Back