C4 tranny cooling lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi Everybody, does anybody can tell me what's the best way to install the transmission cooling line, the one that goes the front of tranny and upper fitting on radiator. I got the other line installed but the line that goes in the "front" has so many bends in it. Can't figure out if from front or rear! Thanks All!

Last time I changed to Stainless lines I jacked / supported the car as high as I could (21" +/-), removed pass front tire & starter and then worked them (taped together) from the front to back.

Lots of tape on the ends to prevent scratching. They do flex quite a bit which made it possible to snake 'em through. Obviously taking care not to kink anything.

It took awhile to get it positioned correctly and then had to persuade the 'pre-bends' into a more correct configuration.

Configuration at the radiator area took a bit of gentle re-bending to make it work since the 'pre-bends' were not quite accurate. I had some very colorful adjectives for the process I had to go through to get them to fit properly.

ya they got a ton of bends. remove the shroud and fan so u have room. the tubing runs just above the motor mount and bends in front of engine and bends again to rad. the front of trans is outlet and goes to lower on rad. then top of rad goes to rear of trans as the return. i just did mine but i added a trans cooler in front of rad and ran both lines through a wire hole just under battery tray. i used heater hose to protect new tubing and any wiring it go close to. the external cooler made a huge difference.

Replaced the old rusty lines last year on my FMX, at first wanted have hard lines, copies of the original.

Then changed my mind when I saw the braided lines I could have for the same price,

but ended up using teflon tubing braided lines, twice as expensive per meter but more durable.

They are also more rigid than regular braided lines and you get a very clean route.

Not to mention they look very nice.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-custom-trans-oil-cooler-lines?page=2

A long time ago I had my original transmission lines chromed, chrome only lasted about 20 years and started to flake off. So I bought a set of pre-bent stainless steel lines and they are bent exactly the same as original lines. So I was able to install the line that goes on the back part of the transmission and that line hooks up to the bottom of the radiator. Delaware Bill stated the rear of transmission goes to the upper radiator fitting, in that case the fluid would travel from bottom to top of radiator! And the front of the transmission would go to the upper radiator fitting. So my application would be backwards!? I had these same lines installed before and everything was cool.

Same, no more chrome for me, stainless or aluminium. If they loose the bling bling, few minutes of love and they shine as new again.

Too much humidity over here for chrome. Currently busy looking at differences (and companies) in coatings for the soon to be handled suspension parts.

[so my application would be backwards!?]

I made the new lines based on the old original lines. On the FMX, the one behind the trans was connected on top of radiator.

One or the other, I don't think that really matters. There would be a +- 50cm length diff in lines for the oil to travel, say 1/2 glass of oil.

Hi Everybody, does anybody can tell me what's the best way to install the transmission cooling line, the one that goes the front of tranny and upper fitting on radiator. I got the other line installed but the line that goes in the "front" has so many bends in it. Can't figure out if from front or rear! Thanks All!
I supported the engine with a 2x 6 wood block on the oil pan, removed the passenger side motor mount and  jacked the engine SLIGHTLY while watching the bell housing for clearance. That worked for me...………..

Back