c4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvinellis

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible
ok, had AAMCO (big mistake) rebuild my C4 while it was out of the car. Now, after it warms up, it seems to hang in higher gear. When I try to accelerate, it barely starts moving. If I gradually accelerate, it will get moving, but if I push harder on the gas it slams down into first and does burnouts. Any ideas before I take it back to the Bozo that screwed it up? I can manually shift it through all three gears, so at least I know they're there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the modulator vacuum line is attached. I do get all three gears, just seems to hang in 3rd when I come to a stop unless I jam on the gas, then it slams down into first.

the modulator is adjustable there is a small flathead screw inside that allows for shift point adjustments.

first see what happens if you disconnect the modulator line, cap the line at the intake manifold and cap the modulator so dirt doesn't get into it.

take it for a drive and see if you are going through all 3 gears and see if the down shift is better.

you can also adjust the kickdown arm and get it where you want.

i'm trying to remember from memory clockwise shortens the shift , counter lengthens it.

but that might not rule out something in the trans being incorrect.

the hell with a automatic shifted automatic, just put a manual valve body in her and manually shifted it all the time! its alot more fun that way!!! :D:cool:

the hell with a automatic shifted automatic, just put a manual valve body in her and manually shifted it all the time! its alot more fun that way!!! :D:cool:
It's going to be the wife's car. So....Not a good idea.

If not I would've already done it!

Back