C6 Transmission Shift lever - ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Hopefully someone will take a look at this and give me an assessment.

the first if a video that show the movement of the shift lever ( on the transmission).

The make-shift clamp is sliding and not shifting the transmission.

You can see at the left of the video the broken - maybe a weld attempt at on point portion of the what I assume is the shift lever.

A in this photo is the broken weld

and is B in this photo correct

Here are the parts that I just took off:

Are these the correct parts?  Of course the hose clamp isn't.

I'd love to drive this thing and this is the last part that is keeping me from taking that newly rebuilt engine out for a spin!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Someone hacked your shift lever for an aftermarket ratchet shifter. Link to the correct part below. You also seem to be missing the kickdown lever as well.

https://missourimustang.com/1970-73-shifter-lever-arm-shaft-c6-428cj/
I had no idea they were making these. You would not believe what I went through to find one 20 years ago!
Bob, the manual shift arm advertised by Missouri Mustang are actual Ford NOS parts. The D2ZZ-7A256-A they are selling is the replacement for the 70-71 DOZZ-7A256-D arm. To my knowledge no one is reproducing this part at the present. They state they have a limited supply, so if you need one or feel that you might need one for a future project you better jump on it. 

The kick down lever is not a OE part part but is manufactured by Kick Down Rods and looks really good.     :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my parts to replace the ratchet shift in my C6 with the proper parts.

Any tips for  removing and installing the new parts?  Any pit falls?

Hopefully you already pulled the pan so that it is well drained. Even then expect some fluid to drip on you, safety goggles are a good idea.

You can get the nut off on the inside with an end wrench that has been bent in order to get to it. I believe it takes a 3/4" wrench, but it's been several years since I did the last one.

I would put a new shifter shaft seal in while you have the old shifter out.

Don

Thanks...I need to order the seal.

I didn't see them when I ordered the other parts, know how carries them?

Anything special about knowing what gear it's in when I  install it?  

Tim

Latest posts

Back