C6 Transmission shift position

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Either I asked this question before and some kindly sent me an image or I found it on our site here.

I need the shifting positions for my 6C transmission.

Is all the way forward park?

I'm still wrestling with not be able to shift but one or twice before, I get nothing.  I've tighten is up the bolts and  it will click as I move the shift lever. 

Thanks

Tim

Well it's hot!!!!!  I took a few minute and crawled under the car today and checked the linkage connection.  Started the car and it was in reverse (yes it started) .  Luckily I had it chocked up so I DIDN'T go careen down the driveway in to my neighbor's front yard!!!   She hates that!!!  (It only happened once!!!!    :whistling:)

Turned the car off reached under it, burned my arm on the exhaust and pushed it into park - all the way forward is park.  So it seems that the problem is up in the console, so that will come apart maybe next weekend.

Tim

Sounds like your linkage needs to be adjusted. Follow the procedure in your shop manual, or in the posts Rackerm linked to. If you shifter is sloppy side to side, replace the pivot bushings before making any adjustments.

By mechanical action of the shifter, park pulls the top of the bellcrank to the rear of the car (clockwise viewed at the trans). The bottom of the bellcrank is for teh backdrive rod to the column, which A) prevents the key being turned to lock when the shifter is not in park and B) locks the shifter in Park to prevent theft

Latest posts

Back