CAM

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetrickw

Reaction score
My Car
I'm currently replacing timing set and damper (balancer), and wanted to try and replace cam & lifters, while I'm in it. Don't know crap about cams but can install one. The block id is D4AE-6015-AA2 and was rebuilt back in 1985. Its a 28 Apr 1975 block. I know the firing order is for a 302 ( 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8) because I've worked on that motor for 30 years. I didn't rebuild the motor, so I don't know what cam they put in. I need to know what my cam options are? Should I buy a 302 cam or 351w cam or are they both the same? I'm running stock engine, with edelbrock intake and Holley 650 , headman headders, just like high school in seventies. like a little more punch... but don't want to spend too much $....thanks for your help.

bill

I'm currently replacing timing set and damper (balancer), and wanted to try and replace cam & lifters, while I'm in it. Don't know crap about cams but can install one. The block id is D4AE-6015-AA2 and was rebuilt back in 1985. Its a 28 Apr 1975 block. I know the firing order is for a 302 ( 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8) because I've worked on that motor for 30 years. I didn't rebuild the motor, so I don't know what cam they put in. I need to know what my cam options are? Should I buy a 302 cam or 351w cam or are they both the same? I'm running stock engine, with edelbrock intake and Holley 650 , headman headders, just like high school in seventies. like a little more punch... but don't want to spend too much $....thanks for your help.

bill
if you want quicker acceleration, imo your best bet is to install numerically higher gears.

if you want a cam then i would suggest a comp xe256h with crane lifters if your gears are 3.00 or numerically lower . . this cam pulls right off the bottom and idles smooth but doesn't rev far.

also, i would buy a set of optional secondary springs and try the white one . . if it bogs when you floor it, install one that is 2 steps heavier.

set your gas level to just below the inspection windows with the engine idling.

also, that carb is a bit big for your app . . you can install a screw with a nut on the back side of the secondary opening arm at the rear of the slot . . this will reduce how far they can open which will reduce the total cfm of the carb slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:

i would not rely solely on the advice of lunati or comp or crane etc . . you will also get xlnt advice right here from others including myself that have run various set ups with clevelands . . supplying info is one of the purposes of sites like these.

i would not rely solely on the advice of lunati or comp or crane etc . . you will also get xlnt advice right here from others including myself that have run various set ups with clevelands . . supplying info is one of the purposes of sites like these.
I'm still trying to decide to put cam in and pull intake replace lifters.

i'm running a edelbrock torker II 351w intake. I guess if I do decide to do the cam now, I am wondering what are the best type of LIFTERS to get, I know how to replace them but, don't know much about the different types, hydraulic, solic, etc... and will I have to replace the rods? i'm looking for a little more punch, but not too much adjustment/time spent inside the heads adjusting rockers etc.........

any assistance is appreciated.........

Don't believe he is running a Cleveland?

I'm still trying to decide to put cam in and pull intake replace lifters.

i'm running a edelbrock torker II 351w intake. I guess if I do decide to do the cam now, I am wondering what are the best type of LIFTERS to get, I know how to replace them but, don't know much about the different types, hydraulic, solic, etc... and will I have to replace the rods? i'm looking for a little more punch, but not too much adjustment/time spent inside the heads adjusting rockers etc.........

any assistance is appreciated.........
i use crane lifters . . comp lifters are not very good.

you can use the same push rods . . you can also set your valve train geometry if you want but you may need new lifters if you do that.

Back