Can you tell if these headers fit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I contacted the seller of these headers. He said they are for 4v heads and we're on a 56 ford pickup but there are no stamped part numbers. Can anyone tell from the picture if they would fit my 72? They look like they may be 1 7/8 primaries.

351 c headers

Just my 2 cents. When I was looking for headers I tried going the used route at first, but after doing some looking around you can buy new ones for about the same money. I went with a new set of Headmans from Jegs. Mine were for 2v though but they fit perfectly. I ordered them uncoated and had my local shop cerakote the outsides and insulkote the inside. No heat issues at all.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-32118flt/overview/year/1972/make/ford/model/mustang

this is a coated set for $325.

Are you planning to install these yourself? If so they are a knuckle buster, especially on the driver's side and you will want to be able to get your car at least 3' off the ground to angle them in from under the car. A lift would be VERY helpful. I did mine using my homemade lift (bunch of 2x12 wood blocks nailed together under the tires as I do not trust jack stands.)

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not look like they are the same as the headers I know will fit, so I would not waste the money. Hooker comps are a good header-but they do hang a little low.

when installing the driver side header, I remove the carb, put a lift plate on in it's place and lift the engine with my hoist set off to the passenger side of the car. I completely remove the driver side engine mount and unbolt the transmission mount as well. As mentioned, it helps to have the car as high off the ground as you can make work, but this makes using the engine hoist difficult. I just put the driver side up on jack stands and leave the passenger side on the ground. When you pull this way, you are pivoting the engine until it will contact the passenger side shock tower. Makes a lot of room to snake the header in. Manual transmissions will require removal of the clutch linkage z bar during installation.

Back