Car dies after driving about 1/2 hour

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you ran it with the gas cap off did you check fuel delivery after it died? Do you have a fuel filter before the fuel pump?
Yes on the fuel delivery: before I started it last time, I manually pushed the throttle cable and heard an audible "whoosh" and smelled fuel. After it died I did the same thing but to sound or smell.

I do not have a filter between the pump and the tank,  (yet).

Tomorrow I'm running a fuel line from the pump inlet to an external gas can, if it keeps running that would rule out the pump. Then I'll start working back to the tank and that small rubber line between the sending unit and the hard line. Not ruling out the coil or condenser, but the fact that I have no fuel after it dies is the reason I'm thinking fuel...………….

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, start with the fuel.
Ran the engine for about an hour from a external gas can and hose hooked to the pump inlet, no problems. Shut it down and started several times, no problems.

Blew some air thru the line  back into the tank with the cap off, and heard sounds like it was coming thru to the tank.

Hooked it all back up to normal condition, started the car,  and it died within 15 minutes.

I am pretty positive  it's not the pump or anything electrical, so next step is replacing the small rubber line between the sending unit to the hard line, then possibly removing the sender and look at the pickup and that "sock" on the pickup...……... :mad:

Drain the tank and pull the sending unit. This will also allow you to shine a light in and use a mirror to inspect the inside of the tank. I would suggest also replacing the rubber lines up front as well as the one in the back and blowing out the hard line while everything is disconnect and inspect the inside of that for corrosion.

Drain the tank and pull the sending unit. This will also allow you to shine a light in and use a mirror to inspect the inside of the tank. I would suggest also replacing the rubber lines up front as well as the one in the back and blowing out the hard line while everything is disconnect and inspect the inside of that for corrosion.
That's my next step, thanks...………………. :goodpost:

That's my next step, thanks...………………. :goodpost:
Ok I have run the engine with external gas can, and it doesn't die

I have run the engine with the hose hooked up to the pump and using the feed from the tank and it dies in 15-20 minutes

I have run the car in this condition with the cap off, and it dies, same thing

I have replaced the rubber lines at the pump and at the tank, it dies, same thing

My next step is pulling the sending unit and checking the sock on the pickup, and trying to see inside the tank.

It will start after it sits about 1/2 hour, and it's definitely running out of fuel to the carb.

It's almost like it just runs on the fuel in the line and the carb then dies and won't restart until fuel seeps back into the line and the carb.

Maybe I have a big hunk of snot on the sock or something.

How big of a deal is it to have a tank cleaned (boiled?) out? :shrug2:

It's easy enough to take the tank off and clean it. However, if it's rusty and the rust has caused the sock to get plugged up it'll just happen again. You can get gas tank sealer/ coating for the inside of it, but it requires thorough cleaning for it to adhere to the inside of the tank, and it's hard to tell how much good metal remains. New tanks aren't that expensive.

It's easy enough to take the tank off and clean it. However, if it's rusty and the rust has caused the sock to get plugged up it'll just happen again. You can get gas tank sealer/ coating for the inside of it, but it requires thorough cleaning for it to adhere to the inside of the tank, and it's hard to tell how much good metal remains. New tanks aren't that expensive.
This time used the external fuel can and rubber hose, only connected at the rear end of the hard line back by the tank connection,  it ran for a little longer, but still died. I was thinking that maybe the hose came above the fuel level in the can, ( it was not full), so I reinserted the hose, making sure it was submerged and tried a restart. For some reason I only get a handful of start attempts then just that annoying buzz. The battery voltage is reading 12.40 without the engine running and immediately after the car dies.

When I  disconnected the line from the sending unit, it seemed like I got a pretty good stream of fuel out of it. I also disconnected the inlet line at the pump with the rear end still not connected to the tank and blew air thru it and there was fuel in the line that was blown out.

I'm waiting to get the battery up to a good charge and retry the gas can to the  back end of the hard line trick.

I'm running out of ideas, but haven't spent any money on parts yet, so that is a good thing.

Could the fuel pump be taking a dump after running for a while?

I'll retry the gas can trick, then look at the sending unit pickup and the tank condition next...….. :shootself: :shootself: :shootself:

I'll retry the gas can trick, then look at the sending unit pickup and the tank condition next...….. :shootself: :shootself: :shootself:
You ruled ou the fuel pump earlier when the line went into a separate gas can.  This time, your hose probably came out of the fuel and it was trying to suck air, which doesn't work, leaving fuel in the line.  Try it again from the rear pickup hard line, and I bet it will run just fine. 

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.  Your problem is in the tank itself.

You ruled ou the fuel pump earlier when the line went into a separate gas can.  This time, your hose probably came out of the fuel and it was trying to suck air, which doesn't work, leaving fuel in the line.  Try it again from the rear pickup hard line, and I bet it will run just fine. 

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.  Your problem is in the tank itself.
Ok, retraced all my troubleshooting:

Hooked an external full gas can and line to inlet port on the fuel pump, and it ran for 45 minutes+,  until I shut it off. Went back and connected the line with a rubber hose and a full gas can to the rear  end of the hard line  connection and it died within 20 minutes.

Maybe time for a hand over hand check of the hardline to see if it is damaged, or possible an overheating coil, a *weak fuel pump*? The coil does get very hot.

It tries to start, but sputters and dies after stalling when I use starter fluid, so  it's not  getting fuel. There is no real connection between the coil and the pump. I'm open to suggestions.

While troubleshooting today with a friend we took the top off the carb after it died, and there was no gas in the bowl. We cleaned it out and put it all back together, and after that, it ran from the pump  hooked to a can and it ran until I shut it off, then hooked it up in the back with the can and it died...…….The tank and sending unit are totally out of the system at this time.

I'm about ready to just throw a fuel pump at it and see if that helps...………... :shootself: :shootself: :shootself:

You tested the fuel pump for 45+ minutes, did you not? The problem lies in the line from the inlet side of the fuel pump to the back of the hard fuel line. You probably have a crimp in it somewhere, or perhaps a pinhole leak that you're not detecting. Here's another test:

Get a long rubber hose of fuel line and go from the tank outlet to the inlet side of the fuel pump. I'll bet it will work just fine.

You tested the fuel pump for 45+ minutes, did you not?  The problem lies in the line from the inlet side of the fuel pump to the back of the hard fuel line.  You probably have a crimp in it somewhere, or perhaps a pinhole leak that you're not detecting.  Here's another test:

Get a long rubber hose of fuel line and go from the tank outlet to the inlet side of the fuel pump.  I'll bet it will work just fine.
+1 on this test but this is only for testing.

You tested the fuel pump for 45+ minutes, did you not?  The problem lies in the line from the inlet side of the fuel pump to the back of the hard fuel line.  You probably have a crimp in it somewhere, or perhaps a pinhole leak that you're not detecting.  Here's another test:

Get a long rubber hose of fuel line and go from the tank outlet to the inlet side of the fuel pump.  I'll bet it will work just fine.
+1 on this test but this is only for testing.
Started up this morning with the hose/can setup at the rear end of the steel  line. The car started and ran normally for about 15 minutes, then died. I did a visual and "hands on" check of the hard line from front to back, and I saw no obvious problems, dings, dents, or leaks. I have already blown air through the line, so its clear.

Could the fuel pump be too weak or unable to continue  pulling the fuel all the way from the back for some reason? Guess I'm going to do the long rubber fuel hose trick and see what that does. I can always resell the hose after I'm done with it...…...LOL!

you may have corrosion inside the hard line that is restricting the fuel enough to cause this but will still let you blow air through and look fine from the outside.

To determine if it's the fuel pump, or not, as soon as it does I would connect a vacuum gauge to the fuel pump inlet, see if it is attempting to draw in fuel. Then, after disconnecting the vacuum gauge, connect a pressure gauge to the outlet, to see if it is trying to pump fuel out. You'll want to get at least 4 or 5 psi pressure out.

You can also connect a vacuum pump, with a container before the pump, to the fuel line from the tank, to see if you can pull any fuel out of the tank.

A restriction in the fuel line, especially if you also have a pin hole that let's air in, will hamper the fuel pump operation.

Did you try to blow air thru the discharge line from the sending unit ? I recall in the past that the sock installed in the tank would get weak and suck closed. Sometimes you can blow it right off the sending unit or drain the tank, remove sending unit and remove sock.

Thanks, Jay

Back