Carburetor help!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
I know that I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I could use a little advise. I've decided not to use the factory intake and carb, and have want to use an Edelbrock performer intake and 4bbl carb. I'm looking at the Holley Ultra Street Avenger Carburetor, model 0-86670BL http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-86670BL/10002/-1, but haven't used one before. I'm not real excited about Edelbrock or Carter carbs. My engine is a 351 4bbl, open chamber heads, milled .050, Lunati cam, mild grind, and I will be using Sanderson Shorty headers.

The car will also have a manual transmission. I am looking for crisp response. It will be a cruiser, not a race car.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. I'm simple minded, so don't get too technical... LOL!

-Travis

I've decided not to use the factory intake and carb, and have want to use an Edelbrock performer intake and 4bbl carb. I'm looking at the Holley Ultra Street Avenger Carburetor, model 0-86670BL http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-86670BL/10002/-1, but haven't used one before. I'm not real excited about Edelbrock or Carter carbs. My engine is a 351 4bbl, open chamber heads, milled .050, Lunati cam, mild grind, and I will be using Sanderson Shorty headers.

The car will also have a manual transmission. I am looking for crisp response. It will be a cruiser, not a race car.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. I'm simple minded, so don't get too technical... LOL!

-Travis
this carb is better

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-680-vs/overview/

have your distributor recurved or we can tell you how to do it if you can use a timing lite and set points.

your headers should be 1 5/8" to 1 3/4".

Last edited by a moderator:
Both good carbs.

Idunno if just me but I hate vac secondaries!

I want to open the secondaries with my foot and not wait for it to Roooollll innnn!

Weather its a man or auto trans I manually shift I want it wide open NOW B4

I get to the next red light intersection.

I guess vac seconds are better for those looking for MPG's

I ran that exact combo but for the headers and a holley double pumper 700 with electric choke was perfect! Great response and when timing was set you just turned the key and she burst to life. Now I'm running an 850 on a fairly stout 393 stroker. I like the standard 4150 double pumpers dichromate finish it just looks like it belongs

here's the 750

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-9379/overview/ I think you can buy it with the electric choke for about the same price.

I've been happy with all of mine over the years and found the edelbrock to be less satisfying, though easier to tune quickly.

I've never seen the Quick Fuel brand before. They look just like the Holley. Are they more reliable?

I've never seen the Quick Fuel brand before. They look just like the Holley. Are they more reliable?
They generally have better features and tuning ability than the Holley's for about the same money.

I haven't tried the Summit brand carb Chuck linked to, but they are a modified version of a tried and true design and look to be a good budget alternative.

the qf carb has downleg boosters, the holley doesn't . . this style of booster will provide better throttle response . . all the air bleed and ifr jets are removable . . the secondaries are tunable by a screw . . the spring must be removed to tune the holley secondaries . . they were designed by ex holley guys.

the summit is a great entry level carb . . it is the old holley design with some improvements as tommy k mentioned . . it is made by a high end italian carb company . . it might be the same place that made the orig holleys in this style, i don't remember but it is far from a crummy carb and it's shiny.

Latest posts

Back