CJ Ram Air Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I forgot one thing. I have 1/2" clearance between the top of the base and the ram air part thats attached to my hood. What is the minimum I need for a good seal but the hood closes properly.

I can't believe you let two common screws get you all wound up like that :-/ Probably the most simplest form of "hotrodding" LOL! Wouldn't wanna be around you when its time to install the vacuum hoses :shrug2:

About the hood plenum and seal clearance. I just added carb spacers and watched the seal take form as it stayed compress. Don't know the clearance cause I can't get under the hood to measure once it's shut. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Take a break and unwined brother! Good luck with the rest of your install. Oh, and make sure you don't raise the carb too high and put a ding in the hood from the center air cleaner cover rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started to suffer from "wanting it perfect" myself. Then realized I "wanting to have some fun in this life time with this car" was more important.

Mark :)

I can't believe you let two common screws get you all wound up like that :-/ Probably the most simplest form of "hotrodding" LOL! Wouldn't wanna be around you when its time to install the vacuum hoses :shrug2:

About the hood plenum and seal clearance. I just added carb spacers and watched the seal take form as it stayed compress. Don't know the clearance cause I can't get under the hood to measure once it's shut. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Take a break and unwined brother! Good luck with the rest of your install. Oh, and make sure you don't raise the carb too high and put a ding in the hood from the center air cleaner cover rod.
I thought about this and I actually wrote several paragraphs on it only to decide that I would come at it from a different angle. How many of us work hard to earn our money? I am sure many of you are like me and every penny earned was one you could use for anything else besides your car. Common sense says that when you pay for something and you get it, it should be as advertised. The part I ordered was advertised as the "complete ram air kit." Now think about this, you get your parts and you cant put them together because they do not include the bolts to put them together. Thats almost $500 you blew and you can't even put it together, unless you then contact the seller and pay another $9 for 2 bolts? That does not piss you off? It sure as hell pissed me off. I do not know, I guess if you were rich and all of these people out there selling you crap thats not complete or subpar does not bother you then its ok. Not for me though. As far as I am concerned when a vendor sells something they should charge the extra dollar these bolts actually cost and send them with the order. CJ's is selling real well nowadays and I know its hurting the other Mustang outlets because I have talked to them. If they want to be able to keep this up they need to get on the ball and make sure stuff like this does not happen in future. It took 7 days for me to get a reply from CJs and the reply was to offer to sell me 2 bolts at that high price. Now if that does not piss you off, you are not thinking.

I thought about this and I actually wrote several paragraphs on it only to decide that I would come at it from a different angle. How many of us work hard to earn our money? I am sure many of you are like me and every penny earned was one you could use for anything else besides your car. Common sense says that when you pay for something and you get it, it should be as advertised. The part I ordered was advertised as the "complete ram air kit." Now think about this, you get your parts and you cant put them together because they do not include the bolts to put them together. Thats almost $500 you blew and you can't even put it together, unless you then contact the seller and pay another $9 for 2 bolts? That does not piss you off? It sure as hell pissed me off. I do not know, I guess if you were rich and all of these people out there selling you crap thats not complete or subpar does not bother you then its ok. Not for me though. As far as I am concerned when a vendor sells something they should charge the extra dollar these bolts actually cost and send them with the order. CJ's is selling real well nowadays and I know its hurting the other Mustang outlets because I have talked to them. If they want to be able to keep this up they need to get on the ball and make sure stuff like this does not happen in future. It took 7 days for me to get a reply from CJs and the reply was to offer to sell me 2 bolts at that high price. Now if that does not piss you off, you are not thinking.
My complete kit costs more but has the screws, breather housing and filter, air filter, wing nut, vacuum line tee and vacuum line clips.

Don

I figured as much. I did a lookup on the photo albums and noted I do not have the vacuum clips the line tee or the wing nut also. I was not too worried about that since I already have clips a wing nut and a spare tee. The filter I took from another project I had in mind and the bolts were the only thing missing. You were right about the bolt size BTW. I bought them and installed them just fine. Now I have a pack of stainless self tappin bolts to add to my growing collection of fasteners I hope one day to use.

10 / 24th by 5/8 fits the DII bases
You were exactly right. I went ahead and bought these and they were tight but they did fit. I guess the paint was in the threads.

I got the kit completely painted and together today. Still need to install it on the carb but wating for my new spacer.

Back