Classic mustangs and gas mileage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I don't expect my car to get excellent mileage, I won't be happy getting 100miles for $30+. I'm not the 'park and show' kind that isn't affected by mpg concerns, or the drag racer who thinks something is wrong if he gets more than 5mpg.

20 on the highway with OD would suit me fine.

Yeah I agree, who cares. I remember back in the day when a Grande was my daily driver I could stomp on it or baby it. Either way it was 10 mpg. Once I figured that out, I stopped caring and drove it like I wanted to....

Scott

I checked it a few times just for laughs with my '71 Mach 1 J-Code 429, top loader, and 3.50 rear. It was 7 MPG, well technically I recall 6.6 MPG one of the times. :) But anytime I stop at the gas station to fill up someone will walk over out of the blue and have a 10 minute chat regarding the car and some memory it triggered. Where I live people don't generally open up to strangers, and getting gas at a self-serve station is usually like being in an elevator where no one looks or talks to one another. A guy in dress slacks and a white shirt walked from the other side of the gas station mini-mart parking lot one time, and as I saw him walking over out of the corner of my eye I thought what the heck does this guy want. He knelt down and breathed in the lingering rich exhaust fumes since I had just turned it off (new cars just don't have that smell), and then proceeded to tell me how his dad worked at a Ford dealership in the 70's and had a number of Mustangs and Torinos when he was a kid. Good stuff...

I calculate that I get roughly 20 smiles per gallon
:goodpost:

Ya beat me to it - I was going to suggest we start measuring this in "Smiles Per Gallon." ::thumb::

Back