cleaning aluiminum trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you recoat the aluminum after removing the bright dip coating with a new coating the aluminum will oxidize and look even worse then before.

The caustic soda in draino will also eat through aluminum if left too long.

Most of the damage that aluminum trim sustains is to the bright dip coating, not the aluminum itself.

good info. and i was wondering about removing the coating like that. thanks for replying.

Hi! Well... the trim in my car was horrible when o bought it... the coat was totally scrached... it appears someone tryed to take it off bvy scraching it.. HORRIBLE...

I couldn´t afford the all car arround trim so, as i have several polisher machines in my factory.. (we make bronze and steel table and floor lamps) i decided to polish all the coat trim of... It was hard but i finally got it polished...

Here in Uruguay nobody anodize the aluminium in bright finish so what i do is every time i wash and wax the car, i pay some atention to the trim and wax it too...

It´s not the show quality solution of course but the trim look good and an hour of dedication a month is not that bad either...

Bottom line, if you want to take the coat off, take the trim to a metal polish shop and then, if you dont want to anodize it again, keep an eye on the brightness of the metal polished... Mantain it to prevent the aluminium oxidize.

you can also clear coat the trim you just need to seal it so the air can't oxidize it.

you can also clear coat the trim you just need to seal it so the air can't oxidize it.
True... you have to use a good clear coat cause aluminium is not very paintable without a propper adherence product direct on the material...

But even if its not a forever treatment, it should be better than leaving the scratches there.

Mans Famous Last words "Hey guys check this out!" ..Never even thought of using drano as a cleaner..

Back