constant voltage reg. problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
I bought a 65 convertible in Oct. and have been fixing it up all winter. When I put the instrument console back it was causing a short making the circuit breaker in the flasher go off. When I hook the black-green wire to the constant voltage regulator it causes the whole metal part of the back of the console to have a constant positive voltage. Do I have a short in the regulator?

Thanks,

Rick

I bought a 65 convertible in Oct. and have been fixing it up all winter. When I put the instrument console back it was causing a short making the circuit breaker in the flasher go off. When I hook the black-green wire to the constant voltage regulator it causes the whole metal part of the back of the console to have a constant positive voltage. Do I have a short in the regulator?

Thanks,

Rick
There were about 3 variants of CVR's during this time, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Most of the variants were how the grounding wire was hooked up to the CVR.

It sounds to me like you are connecting the black/green wire to the ground lug and not to the two posts on the CVR itself. The two black/green wires (yes, there are two!) go to the two posts, and the black wire goes to the ground lug. One of the two black/green wires is hooked up to the ignition switch (the ACC ring connector); the other to the fuel, oil, and temperature gauges, supplying power to those systems.

Thanks,

Rick
There were about 3 variants of CVR's during this time, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Most of the variants were how the grounding wire was hooked up to the CVR.

It sounds to me like you are connecting the black/green wire to the ground lug and not to the two posts on the CVR itself. The two black/green wires (yes, there are two!) go to the two posts, and the black wire goes to the ground lug. One of the two black/green wires is hooked up to the ignition switch (the ACC ring connector); the other to the fuel, oil, and temperature gauges, supplying power to those systems.

I do have both of the black-green wires to the posts. The single black-green wire is the one from the post on the ignition switch. I think an internal failure of the cvr is causing the problem. The connectors are spade lugs so its hard to screw it up.

Well, he CVR's are relatively cheap, so change it out and try it. There may be an internal short.

Back