Convertible rear window with glass material, how to repair bond and replace zippered fabric material (black)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtcs1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible, H Code
Hi,

My 73 rear window was repaired by previous owner to fix bond issues (between glass and fabric material), using, I guess, some silicone. It doesn't hold well in places. My car has 29000 original miles.

Also, the fabric material (glued to the window and zipping to the rest of the top) has dried and need replacing. The rest of the top fabric material is in good condition, I prefer not to touch it. The zipper is in good condition too.

I want to find a way to repair that. An ulphosterer told me he can't glue the glass window to the fabric material and that I must purchase a new replacement panel (window. nylon and zipper). He said the Ford glue process is hot cure and he can't do that.

Has anyone repaired that and could guide me.

Keeping my finger crossed. :)

Thanks, Pierre

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous car! I do not know for sure, but you might try Mod Podge, there's a lot of tips on the Internet about glass to fabric in craft circles, I would probably try it (I have a 73 Convertible that I just finished restoring, but the top was OK). Ever get tired of your car, please think of me!

Back