Coolant sensor thread size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Does anyone know what the thread size is for the coolant temp sensor on the 351c block? I know the thread is NPT however not sure of the size. Reason I am asking is that I need a secondary sensor location to run the temp gauge and I am using the stock location for the efi system. This is what I am looking to put the secondary sensor:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=bci%2072065

It has a 3/8 inch bung and wondering if the OEM sensor is also 3/8 inch.

thx

-jbojo

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the coolant temp sensor on the 351c block? I know the thread is NPT however not sure of the size. Reason I am asking is that I need a secondary sensor location to run the temp gauge and I am using the stock location for the efi system. This is what I am looking to put the secondary sensor:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=bci%2072065

It has a 3/8 inch bung and wondering if the OEM sensor is also 3/8 inch.

thx

-jbojo
So this is what I got to add the second coolant sensor so that I could get my gauge working though it may not be as accurate if it were on the engine block. I am using that position to feed the EFI computer the engine temp and thought that would be more crucial for performance. I just need to connect this adapter to the return line on the radiator hose and I should have the temp that is in a ballpark range.

Thx again Jay for the response.

-jbojo

IMG_2461.JPG

On each side of a Cleveland block, there is a square headed, threaded plug into the coolant passages. I am not sure of the size, but I think it is 3/8ths as well and would allow you to pull temperature readings from the coolant in the block rather than in the hose, and thus be less affected by thermostat opening. Just a thought. It will sit well under headers or stock exhaust manifolds, I imagine

Guys,

Those square headed plugs in the side of the block that Jeff is referring to are coolant block drains and they are 1/4" NPT. You could very well use a reducing coupling & a nipple and fit the sensor in this location.

I guess my pipefitter background has it benefits.

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the inputs guys. BTW the EFI computer will be controlling the electric cooing fans so I am ok with the gauge being close though not 100% accurate.

-jbojo

If you put it in the return (lower) hose you'll be seeing the temperature after the coolant runs through and is cooled by the radiator. If you put it in either hose you won't get any temperature readings until the thermostat opens.

Thx for the inputs guys. BTW the EFI computer will be controlling the electric cooing fans so I am ok with the gauge being close though not 100% accurate.

-jbojo
What injection are you planning to use?

If you put it in the return (lower) hose you'll be seeing the temperature after the coolant runs through and is cooled by the radiator. If you put it in either hose you won't get any temperature readings until the thermostat opens.
Yeah that was the issue I was having but decided to go with it in the return line. It will give me a general idea of the engine temp once the thermostat opens the first time. I didn't want to drill a larger hole in the block and tap it for a 3/8 inch NPT threads. The EFI sensor has a plug with 2 wires so I can't tap into that.

-jbojo
What injection are you planning to use?
Using MSD Atomic EFI system. Still looks like I have a carb on it this way.

What about using the plugged port on the water pump?

IMG_0407_zps7a8d70d8.jpg

What about using the plugged port on the water pump?

IMG_0407_zps7a8d70d8.jpg
That's exactly what I did on my Cleveland EFI conversion a few years ago. Convenient location!

Back