Coronavirus.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just seen on tv msnbc that Germany counselor states 60-70 percent of population can get infected.

So maybe original post meant areas/ country’s and not total human population will get infected???

Just sayin maybe? They can clarify that part.

The only sensible thing in this post is that COVID-19 is contracted the same way as other colds and flus:  being in contact with the virus.

True, as a class, Corona viruses have been around awhile.  But each one mutates and the -19 seems particularly heinous because of how quickly it spreads, and how deadly it is to a subset of the population (age, immune compromised or any of several common health conditions).  We have known about COVID-19 since January and the Administration chose to do nothing about it.  And yet you said if it weren't for it being an election year, we'd never have heard of it?  10,000 *deaths* not just cases in China, and the entire country of Italy has gone on lockdown...  and we'd have never heard about it?

But it IS because it's an election year we did not hear about it, nor take any advance actions sooner: POTUS doesn't want any bad news about anything under his Administration.  Well, who does?  But it's beyond politics:  70% of the population is likely to be infected.  We long ago missed the chance at containment (see "Italy").  The current estimated death rate is 3.4%, which doesn't *seem* that bad, but you do the math:  3.4% of 330 million people is: _____

Let's say you're not in a high risk group, so you don't find it to be a pressing concern.  Do you still have your parents, and how old are they?  Has anyone in your circle had diabetes, cancer, HIV, heart disease, respiratory disease or any of several others?

And as was posted about Mustang Sally (my sympathies), even if the virus passes you by or you only get a mild case, the sheer numbers of sick people will overwhelm our healthcare system.  Again, use Italy as an example:  they have a modern and sophisticated healthcare system and because of the number of sick people needed hospital care, virtually all other procedures have been put on hold.  So don't have a heart attack, a stroke, need cancer treatment, and on and on.

I am not trying to be an alarmist, but we have all got to be realistic.  70% of the nation will likely get it.  If you're in the non-risk, young-age groups, you'll move on; maybe even be asymptomatic (while still spreading the virus -- and a reminder, young people are not immune; death rates are roughly 1.2% per the CDC).  But age, along with existing conditions, starting at about age 50 the death rate hits 5% and grows until you get to the 80 and older population where it's 35%.  Let that sink in:  the odds are 1 in 3 people over 80 will likely die -- and that does not take into account what might/will happen when the healthcare system is overwhelmed and people can't even get to healthcare.

So, take it seriously, but anxiety and stress add to your vulnerability so equip yourself with the best and most accurate information you can. Sadly, it will not be coming from the Administration but there are many smart, loyal, commited and honest healthcare professionals putting it out there -- 
"We" didn't drop the ball regarding containment.  You can thank the Chinese for that... remember... where it supposedly originated?  I mean, if we're to be putting blame anywhere, at least put it where it belongs.  I personally don't believe in the blame-game - it solves nothing and just makes the finger pointers look more and more like idiots.  Containment has long been off the table - it's already worldwide.   The focus should be to minimize casualties while a vaccine or cure is discovered, produced, and distributed to all.  I believe that is what's going on right now. 

The TDS-driven MSM Hype is why the stock market is tanking, people are freaking out and clearing shelves of hand sanitizer, bottled water, and TP, and discussions like this are taking place.  Did we experience any of that when SARS, MERS, or others made their rounds during previous administrations?  Ummm... No.  Why? because of media bias and liberal agenda.  Hype it up, make the current [GOP] administration look bad so the election might go the way they want it to.  Democrat Playbook, page 3.

Let me ask this: If this weren't such a conveniently timed event to push an MSM hyped smear campaign against the current administration, don't you think Congress would've been doing back flips trying to cooperate with the current administration to make sure we're all safe?!  But... they're not... nor have they been.  They won't even tackle the humanitarian issues in their own back yards, they're so focused on doing absolutely anything they can to make Trump look bad they have no time for the things they were elected to do in the first place.  I fully expect cities like San Francisco to start reporting cases of Plague, thanks to all the homeless, rats, and raw biological waste in the streets.

How many sick and elderly are at risk for the flu?  The Common Cold?  Pneumonia?  Why isn't anybody concerned about that all of a sudden (relatively speaking)?

The sky is right where we left it... way up there, Mr. Little.

BTW - I'm overweight, over 50, and [apparently] diabetic.  If I don't make it, you have my permission to bust out the "I told you so" gear and dance to your heart's content.  :whistling:

I hope Don and Canted are right but by the way it looks it will probably be a high percentage of the population that does get it. We are already seeing it spread

rapidly in the US. By the time a person shows symptoms and they figure out they have contracted it they have infected numerous others. This chain then progresses.

1 person infects 5

Those 5 infect 5 more each = 25

Those 25 infect 5 more each = 125

And so on and so on.

I retired from outside sales in the construction industry. It wasn't uncommon for me to travel over 200 miles a day between 2 to 3 cities in southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky and visit a dozen different job sites. If I was infected with it can you imagine how many people could be infected by just me infecting one person in each of the locations I stopped at.

Doesn't take long to spread widely and getting it without really knowing where you got it from. The only way to stop the spread is to shut down the country and force everyone to stay at home.

The problem is there is no current vaccine and our immune systems haven't built up any antibodies to this new virus so it makes it a bigger threat. And yes - as a 69 year old male I am very concern about what will happen to me if I was to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last I heard was they estimate that 80% of those infected will show only the normal coronavirus symptoms of mild sniffles and minor sore throat. But, as shown in the nursing home in Settle, it can affect us old farts more, and I emphasize "can", not "will". From what I've heard on the news reports is that those in Seattle also had other underlying health issues, making them more vulnerable. My wife worked in a old age care facility back in her nursing days, and some of those folks were so fragile that a minor cold could kill them.

Even though the coronavirus is not related to the flu virus, having the flu shot every year helps to strengthen your immune system. Pneumonia vaccine is a must.

The last I heard was they estimate that 80% of those infected will show only the normal coronavirus symptoms of mild sniffles and minor sore throat. But, as shown in the nursing home in Settle, it can affect us old farts more, and I emphasize "can", not "will". From what I've heard on the news reports is that those in Seattle also had other underlying health issues, making them more vulnerable. My wife worked in a old age care facility back in her nursing days, and some of those folks were so fragile that a minor cold could kill them.

Even though the coronavirus is not related to the flu virus, having the flu shot every year helps to strengthen your immune system. Pneumonia vaccine is a must.
Agree with what you say.   A weaken immune system and other health problems will allow the virus to cause havoc on a person.    Even though I get a annual flu shot and have had the pneumonia vaccine I still take getting it a serious thing. 

From what I have read since this is a new virus that our bodies have never had to contend with we have no antibodies to fight it off.   That is where your current health condition comes into play.  If you already have health issue then the odds are this is going to put you down a lot quicker than someone in fairly good health.

Shouldn't make fun of this but my wife thinks it's a millennials plot to get rid of us old people.   :whistling:

UPDATE, just got the call from Seattle cancer alliance. They have cancelled my dear wifes car t cell transplant due to the Corona virus. They took her off all Chemo treatments as a wash out period for the cell extraction. This was risky because without ant Chemo she is expected to last just 3 weeks. She has been off 2 weeks. Now the Drs dont know or dont have any drug to put her on. Sad day indeed.
My prayers are with you and Mustang Sally brother. 

Tom

I think if you could ask the planet she would say we (the people) are the virus and if this is a way of her giving herself an anemia I wouldn't be surprised. The planet is over populated and under resourced and that is only going to get worse. I'm 40 and like to think I'm a realist. I don't consider myself a tree hugger or anything like that but I do appreciate a mind relaxing walk in the woods. I don't believe the sky is falling at all. I know the media does a great job of feeding the sheep and letting their imaginations run wild but just use some common sense. I feel bad for anyone suffering from any ailment and have loved ones of my own that would be considered compromised should they get infected. I guess that's just the way it goes? The people saying the flu has killed more is probably true but this new virus doesn't have the track record yet to truly compare. We could project but we can't take into account future vaccinations or methods of treatment. This particular virus hasn't been around long enough yet. Sorry to hear about Mustang Sally, I hope all goes well. Take care of yourself and your loved ones people!

I have multiple strikes... over 60 and have cancer

Just saw this ...

5:12 pm: Up to 150 million Americans are expected to contract the coronavirus, congressional doctor says

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court, said he expects 70 million to 150 million people in the United States will become infected with COVID-19, NBC News reported, citing two sources.

Monahan made the comments to Senate staff during a closed-door meeting Tuesday afternoon, according to NBC News. The meeting did not include senators and was for administrative office staff and personnel from both parties, NBC News reported.

So as of yesterday there were 121061 confirmed cases worldwide and 4368 deaths, and were supposed to get to 150 million cases in the USA. I still say BS.
If China had over 80,000 + in the hospitals, how many people had it but did not have symptoms, or had minor symptoms, or they wouldn't let into the hospitals.

I don't think anyone knows where this will go yet, hopefully it won't be bad and can be contained.

But on the other hand I sure as hell don't trust Washington to tell me the truth.

EDIT ... didn't mean any partisan here... In a time of crisis in this day and age I don't think I would completely trust either party anymore

This is a time for everyone to work for a common goal.

Follow the money guys, Do you think they would be halting sports seasons and emptying stadiums if this were not serious? Imagine the amount of money each of those games is losing for those cities? Airlines, hotels, restaurants, merchandise, I could go on and on. Do you seriously think if this was political in any way this would be the case? This is so dangerous because you can carry it without symptoms for so long and infect so many before you know you have it. Everyone has an elderly loved one or someone with a compromised immune system, have you had contact with them in the last days? I do not think we are being told the whole truth here but I am looking at the extreme actions being taken to show me how really serious this is.

I would recommend oral spritzing at least 3 times daily, ensuring good coverage particularly to the back of the mouth and throat area.

Ooops - time for a refill.

DbO8n6iUQAATzku.jpg

Maybe go with this next:

images

I'm not going to go for the partisan stupidity other than to say one week ago the POTUS was claiming this was a Democratic hoax, and he spoke from the oval office last night with the direst warnings possible. So stop with the blame the libs b.s. The *virus* is to blame for merely existing.

Time will of course determine what the ultimate 'resolution' of this will be. May be we all still be here by then. Just a few contra-points to some of the comments above: China did warn us in December, not January. The Administration ignored it, missing the chance to advance prepare hospitals and medical staff across the country. To-date, we have not even tested 1,000 people yet. Do you still think it was a good idea to reject the WHO test kits? When I cited "70% spread" I was referencing Germany; our CDC is estimating at least 35%.

And I don't think you realize how little it has to spread to overwhelm our healthcare system: quoting Ron Klain, who was the "pandemic tsar" for both Bush and Obama, says in a worst case scenario, 30M people may need to be hospitalized *simultaneously*. 30M people needing acute respiratory care and our current nationwide capacity is currently 1M with less than 75,000 of respiratory ventilators available across all hospitals. Currently, those 1M beds are occupied (700k people) in the hospital for the usual stuff so we are already at 70% capacity.

Watch the trajectory of cases in Washington state: it's pretty much conforming to 1 sick person infects 2, each of them infects 2, repeat, repeat. This is spreading exponentially and because we did nothing when we could and still can't / won't do widespread testing, have no idea how many people are already in the 2 week incubation period.

Again, look at Italy, a modern, sophisticated healthcare system: people are stacked in the hallways and Doctors are making decisions every hour about who gets to live and who gets to die.

Now I know someone is gonna say "No way 30 million people are that sick at the same time" and I'm gonna say you DO realize 30M is only 1% of the total population of the U.S., right? 1% needing hospital services at the same time and our nation could not handle it.

Quibbling about who was right and who was wrong can only be settled when "its over" (if), but, it does not change one thing: take all the precautions you feel necessary, but ignore this at your -- and many other people's -- peril. Am I paranoid? Sure -- I'm in the age category and have multiple relevant conditions that would indeed put me in additional peril.

I have multiple strikes... over 60 and have cancer

Just saw this ...

5:12 pm: Up to 150 million Americans are expected to contract the coronavirus, congressional doctor says

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court, said he expects 70 million to 150 million people in the United States will become infected with COVID-19, NBC News reported, citing two sources.

Monahan made the comments to Senate staff during a closed-door meeting Tuesday afternoon, according to NBC News. The meeting did not include senators and was for administrative office staff and personnel from both parties, NBC News reported.

They keep changing the numbers every day.

Sorry to hear.  I wasn't aware that you had cancer.  Hope that your treatments are moving in the right direction for you. 

As far as being an old fart there is nothing anyone can do!  :D

Time to sell off all those hoarded 71/73 parts  :whistling:
That is not a problem...

Bring  4 maybe 5 if you are not very good at packing 40 foot tractor trailers

I will help load em up

And a REALLY REALLY REALLY big box of Benjamin Franklin's ... no EU funny money  :D

Back