Correct engine oil level with 7 qt pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hey guys,

yesterday I have succesfully passed my first start-up of my completely rebuilt engine bay - to that later on my restauration thread... ;)

I have installed a 7 quarts oil pan from Moroso on my 4V Clevo - and I filled it with 7 quarts including break-in additive.

I thought, a regular pan has to be filled with 5 qt and the new one with 7 qt as stated from Moroso and others. The readings on my dipsticks are all way over full. I thought this is what I have to live with and did some markings. But my best friend Oliver mentioned, that the dipstick always measures from the top of the oil level in the oil sump to the bottom of the crankshaft to ensure correct level. Not from bottom of the oil pan to the oil level as I thought. For firing up and let in run for break-in it was not tragical he said but for driving business he would go back to a little over the original markings on the dipstick. Because with an original dipstick the markings should fit with every pan regardless of their size!

My dipstick is an original one from Don with original sleeve for the 351C and my second one is aftermarket and have the same measures.

What should I do know?

I think Oliver is right, it sounds locical! But whats with the rumours about 7 qt pans? Every guy out there says 7 qt pan = 7 qt oil + 1 qt for the oil filter. That's a lot of fossil salat dressing in there and miles over the original markings on the stick!

That makes me sick...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Don,

I think it is one quart over - I have this one

http://www.excessiveracing.com/Moroso/20558.aspx

Not really a windage tray but a baffle and a scraper...

Thank you for the link - interesting discussion!

Do you think that I better had to step one quart back and go for the original markings on the dipstick?

With the scraper and baffle you should be OK at a quart over. For everyday driving I would consider running it with 6 quarts and if racing I would add the extra quart.

i use joe gibbs break in oil.

i would consider lowering the level at least 1/2 qt even if you aren 't racing it because om sure your still going to rev if pretty high on occasion . . better safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the scraper and baffle you should be OK at a quart over. For everyday driving I would consider running it with 6 quarts and if racing I would add the extra quart.

i use joe gibbs break in oil.

i would consider lowering the level at least 1/2 qt even if you aren 't racing it because om sure your still going to rev if pretty high on occasion . . better safe than sorry.
Don and Barnett,

thank you for your worthy judgement - from your words I choose that I will lower it for one quart for driving - that sounds and feels better.

And Barnett, yes, I will rev it high from time to time - that's how I built it and that's why I have one ::thumb::

Latest posts

Back